Newton's laws and pulley mass system

In summary, a system consisting of a 3.00 kg block and a 5.00 kg ball falls a distance of 1.45m with a coefficient of friction of 0.335. Using the equations Ff = UsN and T - mg = ma, the acceleration is found to be 4.89 m/s^2 and the tension in the string is 24.45N. Using the kinematics formula vf^2 = vo^2 + 2ax, the final velocity is calculated to be 3.7653 m/s after 0.77 seconds. A simulation is suggested, but it is also recommended to draw a free body diagram and use equations for both masses to solve for
dink87522

Homework Statement

The coefficient of friction between the block of mass m1 = 3.00 kg and the surface in the figure below is μk = 0.335. The system starts from rest. What is the speed of the ball of mass m2 = 5.00 kg when it has fallen a distance h = 1.45 m?

8-p-022.gif

Homework Equations

Ff = UsN
T - mg = ma

Y = Yo + Vot + 1/2at^2 (maybe, I'm not sure)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that a = 4.89m and that the tension in the string is 24.45N. I don't know how to then take teh distance 0f 1.45m traveled into consideration and work with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
are you sure from the value you got for a? I feel that there is a mistake there? (please show that steps you followed to get the acceleration)

in case you are sure from your answer, then to get the speed I suggest you use the following equation:

vf^2 = vo^2 + 2ax, where vf: the final velocity, vo: the initial velocity, a:acceleration, x: the distance

you have vo =0 (from the question "the system starts from rest"), a (you got it), and x (given in the question)..

I'm using a simulation to solve acceleration and Tension ( g = 9.8 m/s^2)

Newton-Pulley-system1.JPG

Newton-Pulley-system.JPG

a = 4.89 m/s^2

vo = 0
h = 0.5*a*t^2
t = root(2*h/a) = root(2*1.45/4.89) = 0.77 s

spreed of the system after 0.77 s is

vt = vo + at = 0 + (0.77 s)*(4.89 m/s^2) = 3.7653 m/s

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like some pretty blatant self promotion :p although it does look like it would have been a handy application to help with learning mechanics.

I have a hunch your teacher probably wants you to be able to draw FBD for both masses allowing you to get two equations with T and a being your unknowns. Two equations, two variables, solve for a.

The rest is just simple kinematics. If the teacher had angled the plane the application that one poster wrote would be unusable. Its for one of many types of problems that could be given with simple statics or dynamics. I would think you would want to put pencil to paper and do it yourself. Then play with simulations. Or write your own.

So what are all the forces on the mass on the plane in the vertical and horizontal and all the forces in the vertical for the mass hanging... start there. a and T must be the same magnitude for both

Related to Newton's laws and pulley mass system

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental laws developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws apply to a pulley mass system?

In a pulley mass system, Newton's laws can be applied to determine the forces acting on each object and the resulting motion. For example, the second law can be used to calculate the acceleration of the system by considering the mass of each object and the forces acting on them. The third law can also be used to determine the equal and opposite forces between the objects in the system.

3. What is the role of friction in a pulley mass system?

Friction plays a significant role in a pulley mass system as it can affect the motion and forces involved. For instance, friction between the pulley and the rope can reduce the tension in the rope, which can impact the acceleration of the system. Additionally, friction between the objects and the surface they are on can also affect the system's motion and forces.

4. Can a pulley mass system violate Newton's laws?

No, a pulley mass system cannot violate Newton's laws. These laws are fundamental principles that govern all motion and forces in the universe. Any system, including a pulley mass system, must adhere to these laws. If it appears that a system violates these laws, it is most likely due to incomplete or incorrect measurements or calculations.

5. How can understanding Newton's laws and pulley mass systems be useful?

Understanding Newton's laws and pulley mass systems can be useful in many real-world applications. For example, engineers use these principles to design machines and structures, such as cranes and elevators. Also, understanding these laws can help predict and explain the motion and forces involved in everyday situations, such as riding a bike or throwing a ball.