Newton's laws of motion problem -- Knife penetrating cardboard

In summary: I'll try that.In summary, an open knife edge dropped from a height of 5 meters on a cardboard exerts an average resistance of 2 meters.
Shivansh Mathur
Poster has been reminded to fill out the Template and show their Attempt at the Solution
An open knife edge of mass 200 g is dropped from height 5 m on a cardboard. If the knife edge penetrates distance 2 m into the cardboard, the average resistance offered by the cardboard to the knife edge is:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is your attempt of the question?

Likes ISamson
For finding the initial speed
V(2)-u(2) = 2xgxh (g=10m/s(2)
V(2)= 2x10x5
V= 10m/s
So,speed of knife before it hits the cardboard is 10m/s. Now?

I know we just have to find the negative acceleration by the cardboard. If there was a mention about how much time it takes for the knife to stop, I would have done it.

here is the complete attempt, you may verify it
20150905_142358.jpg

oops!
fvf.PNG

Please do not post images of handwritten algebra. Images are fine for diagrams and textbook extracts, but take the trouble to type in your working.

Your calculation overlooks the fact that the blade continues to descend after hitting the top of the cardboard. Gravity doesn't suddenly switch off at that time. Also, it is unnecessary to find the impact velocity. There's no point in translating energy into velocity then back to energy again.

However, my main complaint is with the question itself. The method you use, dividing energy by distance, is clearly the one intended (since it is the only information you have) but it is not generally valid. It is OK if the force is constant during the deceleration, but it won't be. Average force is momentum divided by time, ##\frac{\Delta mv}{\Delta t}##, which need not be equal to ##\frac{\Delta E}{\Delta s}##.
See section 3 of https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-forces/.

i'm sorry, wasn't aware about the handwritten part.

However, you are suggesting that it is unnecessary to find the impact velocity. But if i don't do so, how am i going to find the negative acceleration produced on the knife because of the cardboard? And if i don't get the acceleration, i won't get the force also. Am i right?
Thanks for the correction regarding average force. But please answer my above question.

Shivansh Mathur said:
However, you are suggesting that it is unnecessary to find the impact velocity. But if i don't do so, how am i going to find the negative acceleration produced on the knife because of the cardboard?
after finding the velocity, you used the SUVAT equation ##v^2-u^2=2as##. If we multiply that equation through by m/2 we get ##\frac 12 mv^2-\frac 12 mu^2=mas=Fs##. Clearly this is an energy equation, ##\Delta KE =## work done in accelerating the mass. Before that you used ##\Delta KE=-\Delta PE##. By eliding the KE bit, we can go straight from PE to work done against the force.
However, there is one point I made to which you did not respond. The blade continues to lose PE after it strikes the cardboard.

Yes now I've understood what you were trying to say. So the only problem was that I didn't take gravity into account after hitting the cardboard. 'So gravity does not switch off :)'

Well, modifying the calculation gives me a different answer i.e 7N . Now I'm confident about it.
Thanks.

Shivansh Mathur said:
Yes now I've understood what you were trying to say. So the only problem was that I didn't take gravity into account after hitting the cardboard. 'So gravity does not switch off :)'

Well, modifying the calculation gives me a different answer i.e 7N . Now I'm confident about it.
Thanks.
Yes.

am new here so can you elaborate on your calculations

bell Cranel said:
am new here so can you elaborate on your calculations
Please post your own attempt in a new thread.

Ok

What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe how objects move. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How do these laws apply to the problem of a knife penetrating cardboard?

For this problem, the first law applies as the knife is initially at rest and remains at rest until a force (i.e. being pushed or thrown) is applied to it. The second law applies as the force of the knife's motion is dependent on the amount of force applied to it and the mass of the knife itself. The third law applies as the force of the knife penetrating the cardboard will result in an equal and opposite force on the cardboard, causing it to move or potentially break.

What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in this problem?

The relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in this problem is described by Newton's second law of motion. The amount of force applied to the knife (by being pushed or thrown) and the mass of the knife itself determine the acceleration at which it will move through the cardboard. The greater the force or the lighter the knife, the greater the acceleration will be.

Can Newton's laws of motion be used to predict the outcome of the knife penetrating the cardboard?

Yes, Newton's laws of motion can be used to predict the outcome of the knife penetrating the cardboard. By knowing the mass of the knife, the force applied to it, and the properties of the cardboard, we can calculate the acceleration of the knife and determine whether it will successfully penetrate the cardboard or not.

Are there any limitations to Newton's laws of motion in this problem?

There are a few limitations to Newton's laws of motion in this problem. The first limitation is that it assumes the objects involved are point masses with no internal structure. In reality, both the knife and the cardboard have mass distribution and internal structure that can affect the outcome. Additionally, air resistance and friction may also play a role in the movement of the knife and the cardboard, which are not accounted for in Newton's laws of motion.