Newton's Second Law for Translation and Rotation

In summary, for question 3, the solution would be N2L for translation. For questions 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6, the solution would be Both.
BayRan
Homework Statement
For each of the situations below, determine which forms of Newton's second law (N2L) are appropriate.
Relevant Equations
Conceptual ideas.
Answer choices: N2L for Translation, N2L for Rotation, Both, Either1. You are asked to find the angular acceleration of a low-friction pulley with a given force exerted on it.

My solution = N2L for rotation

4.png

2. You are asked to find the angular acceleration of a low-friction pulley due to a mass hanging from it by a rope.

My solution = Both

5.png

3. You are asked to determine the maximum height of a spinning ball that is thrown upwards.

My solution = Both

2.png

4. You are asked to calculate the time it takes a ball to roll down an inclined plane.

My solution = Both

3.png

5. You are asked to find the tangential acceleration of a small satellite in a circular orbit that results from it firing its thruster.

My solution = Both

6.png

6. You are asked to determine the oribtal period of a small satellite around Earth.

My solution = N2L for translation

1.png
Besides the first two, I'm really just guessing based on my intuition. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start with #3. You were asked to find the max height that the ball get to. Why should the fact that it is spinning matter? Did you have to include the spinning part when you solve such a problem? I'm assuming that this is elementary kinematics, and that you're not including Bernoulli effect due to the spinning ball moving through air.

Zz.

Likes BayRan
ZapperZ said:
Let's start with #3. You were asked to find the max height that the ball get to. Why should the fact that it is spinning matter? Did you have to include the spinning part when you solve such a problem? I'm assuming that this is elementary kinematics, and that you're not including Bernoulli effect due to the spinning ball moving through air.

Zz.

That's true. I had always imagined that the ball would be spinning when someone throws it, but I assumed something would change when we apply N2LR. I changed my answer to N2L for translation.

1. What is Newton's Second Law for Translation and Rotation?

Newton's Second Law for Translation and Rotation states that the force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration, in both linear and rotational motion.

2. How is Newton's Second Law for Translation and Rotation different from the First Law?

The First Law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by a net external force, while the Second Law takes into account the direction of the force and the resulting acceleration of the object.

3. What are the units for force, mass, and acceleration in Newton's Second Law for Translation and Rotation?

The unit for force is Newton (N), mass is measured in kilograms (kg), and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

4. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration in Newton's Second Law for Translation and Rotation?

Angular acceleration is related to linear acceleration through the radius of rotation, which is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The greater the radius, the lower the linear acceleration will be for the same angular acceleration.

5. Can Newton's Second Law for Translation and Rotation be applied to non-rigid bodies?

Yes, Newton's Second Law for Translation and Rotation can be applied to non-rigid bodies as long as the mass and forces acting on the object are known, and the motion is considered to be small enough that the object can be treated as a point mass.