Newton's second law (friction and pulley)

In summary, the homework statement is that Homework Equations F=ma, Fr = μN. The Attempt at a Solution finds that 1kg(1m/s^2) = 1N. Fnet = (x) - 1.18 and 1N = x - 1.18. x = 2.18N and 2.18N/9.81m/s^2 = 0.223kg.
GrantFuhrer

Homework Statement

m6VS5y3.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma, Fr = μN

The Attempt at a Solution

1kg(1m/s^2) = 1N

Fnet = (x) - 1.18
1N = x - 1.18
x = 2.18N
2.18N/9.81m/s^2 = 0.223kg

I know this is not right because I was told that in my calculations Fnet and Fr go in the same direction. Also I didn't use the kinetic coefficient to calculate my answer (which I'm probably supposed to) the total question is out of 5 points.[/B][/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to do a force balance on the blue mass also. Call T the tension in the string.

Chet

What is ##F_r## supposed to be? At one point you set it equal to the frictional force, but you also say it is in the same direction as the net force. It can't be both. Perhaps if you figure that out, all will become clear to you. I presume that the pulley is supposed to be massless and frictionless.

tms said:
What is ##F_r## supposed to be? At one point you set it equal to the frictional force, but you also say it is in the same direction as the net force. It can't be both. Perhaps if you figure that out, all will become clear to you. I presume that the pulley is supposed to be massless and frictionless.

Fr is frictional force. Yes I know my mistake was that it is the same direction as the net force. Indeed the pulley is massless and frictionless. This is what I do so that the force of friction is different from the net force:
-Fnet = (x) - 1.18
-1N = (x) - 1.18
x = 0.18N
0.18N/9.81 = 0.018kg

I'm still doing it wrong, can you guide me from here?

T - 1.18 = 1N, but the value of T you get from this is not the weight of the blue mass. The blue mass is also accelerating, so T is less than the weight of the blue mass.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
T - 1.18 = 1N, but the value of T you get from this is not the weight of the blue mass. The blue mass is also accelerating, so T is less than the weight of the blue mass.

Chet

Hmm..

T - 1.18 = 1N
T = 2.18N / 9.81m/s^2 = 0.222kg

Same answer I had before. It's not right because when I verify:
(0.222*9.81) - 1.18 = 1 / (0.222 + 1) = 0.81

Acceleration has to be 1.00m/s^2 and not 0.81.

GrantFuhrer said:
Fr is frictional force. Yes I know my mistake was that it is the same direction as the net force.
Just to be clear, the frictional force is not in the same direction as the net force. One thing you do know is that the tension must be greater in magnitude than the frictional force, or the block would not move. For the block on the table, you know that
[tex]F_{net} = T - F_{friction}[/tex] since the tension and the friction work in opposite directions. You had that part right in your original post. It would help if you made your equations more explicit, not using things like ##x## to represent a force.

After you get the tension, you do another free-body diagram on the hanging weight to get its mass.

mg - T = ma

Related to Newton's second law (friction and pulley)

1. What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. This law is expressed mathematically as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How does friction affect Newton's second law?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. When an object is moving, the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion, causing the object to slow down. This means that in order to maintain a constant velocity, an object must overcome the force of friction. Therefore, friction is considered a type of external force that can influence the acceleration of an object, and thus, it is a factor in Newton's second law.

3. How do pulleys relate to Newton's second law?

Pulleys are simple machines that use a rope or cable to lift or lower objects. They work by changing the direction of the force needed to lift an object. In accordance with Newton's second law, the force needed to lift an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By using a pulley, the force needed to lift the object is distributed over multiple ropes, reducing the amount of force needed and making it easier to lift the object.

4. What is the role of mass in Newton's second law?

Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to change in motion. In Newton's second law, mass is an important factor as it is directly proportional to the net force needed to accelerate an object. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. In other words, an object with a larger mass will have a smaller acceleration compared to an object with a smaller mass when the same force is applied.

5. Can you give an example of Newton's second law in action involving friction and pulleys?

Sure! Imagine a person pulling a box across the floor with a rope. The person exerts a force on the rope, and the rope exerts an equal and opposite force on the person. The box also exerts a frictional force on the floor, which acts in the opposite direction of its motion. According to Newton's second law, the acceleration of the box is directly proportional to the net force exerted on it, which is the force from the person minus the force of friction. By using a pulley to change the direction of the force, the person can reduce the amount of force needed to move the box, making it easier to overcome the force of friction.