NiMH Battery Management System - Balancing Circuit Design

In summary, the battery management system is to monitor NiMH batteries and keep them at a nominal voltage by bypassing current when they reach their voltage. The system is to be able to measure the voltage of every cell, the temperature of every 5-10 cells, and the system must be able to bypass 1-amp of current around a cell when it reaches nominal voltage. The professors who proposed the project set the main requirements to be that it measures the voltage of every cell, the temperature of every 5-10 cells and the system must be able to bypass 1-amp of current around a cell when it reaches nominal voltage. The problem we are having now is designing the bypass/balancing circuit. The approximate voltage from my calculations that
stryker23
I am working on a senior design project that is to design a battery management system to monitor NiMH batteries powering an electric truck. The professors who proposed the project set the main requirements to be that it measures the voltage of every cell, the temperature of every 5-10 cells and the system must be able to bypass 1-amp of current around a cell when it reaches nominal voltage.

NiMH Battery Specs: 10-Cell Packs@13.2 Volts Nominal (16 Volts Max Charging) so 1.32 volts per Cell (The specs we were given are attached.)

There are a very limited number of monitoring chips made to work with NiMH batteries because it is not usually necessary to know the voltage of each cell, but my team has chosen to use the Maxim 11068 which claims it will work with NiMH batteries.

Maxim 11068 Datasheet:
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX11068.pdf

The current problem we are having now is designing the bypass/balancing circuit. The internal switches of the chip can only bypass ~250mA. The datasheet on pages 25-26 provides sample external bypass circuits. The problem with using those circuits is trying to find an external MOSFET with a very low gate threshold voltage that will bypass 1A.

The approximate voltage from my calculations that can be supplied to the MOSFET gate is approximately 0.6 volts.

I cannot find a MOSFET with a gate threshold voltage this low that has an id~=1A.

I've also looked at BJTs, but run into a similar issue.

Does anyone know if there are any transistors that will work for this scenario or have any suggestion of how to design the circuit so that it is possible to balance the 1.32V cells using the IC chip to trigger the balancing?

Attachments

• NiMH battery spec.pdf
    67.7 KB · Views: 376
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have simplified my design so that I will bypass current around three cells. This will provide a much higher gate threshold voltage, but I still have a few questions about the right MOSFET to choose.

The total battery voltage will be 3.96 volts (3 NiMH cells). This will provide 1.98 volts to the gate of the MOSFET.

The following MOSFET has very low on-resistance and decent power dissipation. My only question is that Id at 1.8 volts is much higher than 1A. As far as I understand this shouldn't be a problem as long as I limit the current across the MOSFET with a resistor above the drain. Do I have this correct? Should I be concerned with any other aspect of the MOSFET then what I have mentioned?

First Option:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FD/FDS6574A.pdf

This is one other option I found. I am afraid it may be to limited by max temperature and power dissipation.
A second option:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FD/FDG1024NZ.pdf

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

1. What is a NiMH battery management system?

A NiMH (Nickel-Metal Hydride) battery management system is a circuit that monitors and controls the charging and discharging of NiMH batteries, ensuring they operate safely and efficiently.

2. Why is balancing important in a NiMH battery management system?

Balancing is crucial in a NiMH battery management system to prevent overcharging or undercharging of individual cells. This ensures that all cells within the battery pack are equally charged and discharged, prolonging the battery's lifespan and preventing potential safety hazards.

3. How does a balancing circuit work in a NiMH battery management system?

A balancing circuit works by diverting excess charge from cells that are fully charged to cells that are not yet fully charged. This equalizes the charge level of all cells and prevents overcharging. It can also discharge cells that are overcharged to prevent damage.

4. Can a NiMH battery management system be used with other types of batteries?

In most cases, a NiMH battery management system is specifically designed for use with NiMH batteries and may not be compatible with other types of batteries. It is important to check the specifications and compatibility of the circuit before use.

5. Do all NiMH batteries require a battery management system?

No, not all NiMH batteries require a battery management system. However, for high-capacity batteries or those used in critical applications, such as in electric vehicles, a battery management system is highly recommended for safe and optimal performance.