Nitrogen Bond Formation: 2 Electrons in 2p Orbital

In summary: ION?In summary, when an electron is added to nitrogen, it forms a 3 electron bond, but in nitric oxide, you have one more electron, so you form a 2.5 electron bond.
Karan Punjabi
Guys, I'm just thinking about how Nitrogen makes two bonds if it has 3 electrons in 2p orbital. I made a judgement that one electron from 2s orbital will transfer to one of 2p orbitals then there are two 2p orbitals which can make a bond? Is this correct or there is other mechanism?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Karan Punjabi said:
Guys, I'm just thinking about how Nitrogen makes two bonds if it has 3 electrons in 2p orbital. I made a judgement that one electron from 2s orbital will transfer to one of 2p orbitals then there are two 2p orbitals which can make a bond? Is this correct or there is other mechanism?

Nitrogen actually makes 3 bonds. 2 p-electrons form a sigma-bond and 2 x 2 p-electrons form 2 pi-bonds. The s-electrons are not binding.

DrStupid said:
Nitrogen actually makes 3 bonds. 2 p-electrons form a sigma-bond and 2 x 2 p-electrons form 2 pi-bonds. The s-electrons are not binding.[/QUOTE
Yeah but what's happening in the case of Nitric oxide?

In nitric oxide, you have one additional electron, so you will get a 3-electron pi bond which is about half as strong as a 2 electron pi bond. So you will get an overall bond order of 2.5.

DrDu said:
In nitric oxide, you have one additional electron, so you will get a 3-electron pi bond which is about half as strong as a 2 electron pi bond. So you will get an overall bond order of 2.5.
Can you just elaborate. Extra electron means tha nitrogen gains a electron then it makes a bond?

No, I meant that in nitric oxide you have one more valence electron as compared to dinitrogen.

Karan Punjabi said:
Can you just elaborate. Extra electron means tha nitrogen gains a electron then it makes a bond?

The extra electron populates an anti-binding pi orbital. It belongs to the molecule and not to nitrogen or oxygen only.

DrStupid said:
The extra electron populates an anti-binding pi orbital. It belongs to the molecule and not to nitrogen or oxygen only.
Ohk to understand this concept should I first understand MOT

1. What is "Nitrogen Bond Formation"?

"Nitrogen Bond Formation" refers to the process in which two nitrogen atoms share a pair of electrons in their 2p orbitals, resulting in the formation of a covalent bond between the two atoms.

2. How many electrons are involved in "Nitrogen Bond Formation"?

Two electrons from each nitrogen atom participate in "Nitrogen Bond Formation". One electron from each atom is from the 2p orbital, making a total of 2 electrons in 2p orbital.

3. What is the significance of the 2p orbital in nitrogen bond formation?

The 2p orbital in nitrogen bond formation is significant because it contains the valence electrons of nitrogen atoms. These electrons are able to form bonds with other atoms, allowing nitrogen to create stable compounds with a variety of elements.

4. What type of bond is formed in "Nitrogen Bond Formation"?

The bond formed in "Nitrogen Bond Formation" is a covalent bond. This type of bond involves the sharing of electrons between atoms, resulting in a strong and stable bond.

5. How does "Nitrogen Bond Formation" contribute to the chemistry of living organisms?

Nitrogen bond formation is essential for the formation of important biomolecules such as proteins, DNA, and RNA. These molecules play crucial roles in the structure and functioning of living organisms, making nitrogen bond formation vital for life.