NLO question (second hyperpolarizability tensor)

• Thread starter pascal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the second hyperpolarizability of a compound with D(3) symmetry and the transformation rule for a rank-3 tensor when the coordinate system is rotated. The transformation is given by \beta'_{ijk}=\sum_{mnp}\beta_{mnp}T_{mi}T_{nj}T_{pk} and the indices can be determined by considering whether they are contra- or co-variant.
pascal
I'm working on a calculation of the second hyperpolarizability "\beta" of a compound with D(3) symmetry, and I am trying to figure out how the tensor \beta transforms under a coordinate rotation about the z axis (the three-fold symmetry axis). I know that if we have two bases x and x' with a linear transformation tensor T such that x' = xT, that the "ordinary" polarizability tensors "\alpha" and "\alpha^{\prime}" in the two coordinate systems are related by \alpha^{\prime} = T^{-1} \alpha T, but I'm not sure what the transformation rule is for a rank-3 tensor when the coordinate system is rotated. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
ah, yes. there are three indices on [tex]\beta[/tex] so you can't treat it as a matrix which transforms by being sandwiched between two other matrices. We have to generalize a bit. Consider the transformation you do know:
[tex]
\alpha'=T^{-1}\alpha T
[/tex]

Now, the inverse of T is the same as the transpose so I can rewrite this using indices as
[tex]
\alpha'_{ij}=\sum_{mn}T^{-1}_{im}\alpha_{mn}T_{nj}=\sum_{mn}\alpha_{mn}T_{mi}T_{nj}
[/tex]

So, apparently the correct transformation for a quantity with three indices is
[tex]
\beta'_{ijk}=\sum_{mnp}\beta_{mnp}T_{mi}T_{nj}T_{pk}
[/tex]

this is easily generalized to high numbers of indices, or lower, e.g. you could reporduce the transformation of a vector. Cheers.

adam

Thanks, Adam. That does make sense. The only question I have now is which of the indices are contravariant, and which are covariant? I've looked through MANY NLO books and cannot find any resource that addresses this question.

pascal said:
Thanks, Adam. That does make sense. The only question I have now is which of the indices are contravariant, and which are covariant? I've looked through MANY NLO books and cannot find any resource that addresses this question.

No probelm.

Yes, you need to know whether they are contra- or co-variant.

Can you write down the equation for me so that I can see how it should go? I.e., is it something like:
[tex]
P_i=\alpha_{ij}E_j+\beta_{ijk}E_jE_k\;?
[/tex]
Because you can figure out how the indices transform since you know that E and P are vectors.

Related to NLO question (second hyperpolarizability tensor)

1. What is the NLO question (second hyperpolarizability tensor)?

The NLO question (second hyperpolarizability tensor) refers to a tensor quantity that describes the nonlinear optical (NLO) response of a material to an applied electric field. It is used to quantify the material's ability to generate second harmonic radiation, which is essential for many optical applications.

2. What is the significance of the NLO question (second hyperpolarizability tensor)?

The NLO question (second hyperpolarizability tensor) is significant because it provides a measure of the nonlinearity of a material's response to an electric field. This is important for the development of new optical devices and materials, such as optical switches, modulators, and sensors.

3. How is the NLO question (second hyperpolarizability tensor) calculated?

The NLO question (second hyperpolarizability tensor) is calculated using quantum mechanical methods, such as density functional theory (DFT) or coupled-cluster theory. These methods take into account the electronic structure of the material and its response to an applied electric field to determine the NLO properties.

4. What factors affect the value of the NLO question (second hyperpolarizability tensor)?

The value of the NLO question (second hyperpolarizability tensor) is affected by several factors, including the molecular structure of the material, the orientation of the material with respect to the applied electric field, and the strength of the electric field. Additionally, the presence of certain functional groups or chemical modifications can also impact the value of the NLO question.

5. How is the NLO question (second hyperpolarizability tensor) used in practical applications?

The NLO question (second hyperpolarizability tensor) is used in the design and development of new materials for various optical applications. It can also be used to predict the nonlinear optical properties of a material before it is synthesized, which can save time and resources in the development process. Additionally, the NLO question can be used to optimize the performance of existing optical devices by selecting materials with optimal NLO properties.