No. of solutions of an equation involving a defined function

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the number of solutions for the equation f(x-1)+f(x+1)=sinA for different values of x in the interval (0,1]. There was confusion about the question and its interpretation, but it was eventually determined that for every A in that range, there are four solutions for x. Sketching f(x+1)+f(x-1) can help visualize this.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
The number of solutions of the equation
## f(x-1)+f(x+1)=sinA ,0<A<\pi/2 ##
where
## f(x)##={##1-|x|,|x|## less than or equal to 1
={##0,|x|>1 ##
is
Relevant Equations
None
Here is a pic of question
20200419_095636.jpg

My attempt-:
I defined functions f(x-1) and f(x+1) using f(x).After defining them,I substituted their values in the equation f(x-1)+f(x+1)=sinA.
For different ranges of x,I got different equations.
For 1<x<2,I got 1-x=sinA.
But now I am confused.For each different value of x in the interval (0,1],there exists an A.So there would be infinite solution.But the answer was given as 4.
Please help..

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics lover said:
For each different value of x in the interval (0,1],there exists an A.
I would think they want the number of solutions for any given fixed A in the range, though why they go through a sin function instead of just giving a range 0<…<1 I don't know.

haruspex said:
I would think they want the number of solutions for any given fixed A in the range, though why they go through a sin function instead of just giving a range 0<…<1 I don't know.
Yes i think the same.Maybe the question is incorrect.

Physics lover said:
Yes i think the same.Maybe the question is incorrect.
No, with my interpretation I get the book answer, so you might as well assume that is what is intended.

haruspex said:
No, with my interpretation I get the book answer, so you might as well assume that is what is intended.
So shall I put any value of A in between 0 and pi/2?

Physics lover said:
So shall I put any value of A in between 0 and pi/2?
No, you have to show that for every A in that range there are four solutions for x.
If you sketch f(x+1)+f(x-1) it will be obvious.

Likes Physics lover
haruspex said:
No, you have to show that for every A in that range there are four solutions for x.
If you sketch f(x+1)+f(x-1) it will be obvious.
Yes I got it.Thanks.

1. How do I determine the number of solutions for an equation involving a defined function?

The number of solutions for an equation involving a defined function can be determined by analyzing the graph of the function. The number of times the graph intersects the x-axis is equal to the number of solutions for the equation.

2. Can an equation involving a defined function have more than one solution?

Yes, an equation involving a defined function can have more than one solution. This occurs when the graph of the function intersects the x-axis at multiple points.

3. Is it possible for an equation involving a defined function to have no solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an equation involving a defined function to have no solutions. This occurs when the graph of the function does not intersect the x-axis at any point.

4. How does the degree of the function affect the number of solutions for an equation involving a defined function?

The degree of the function can affect the number of solutions for an equation involving a defined function. Generally, a function with a higher degree will have more solutions, but this is not always the case. It is important to analyze the graph of the function to determine the exact number of solutions.

5. Can an equation involving a defined function have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, an equation involving a defined function can have an infinite number of solutions. This occurs when the graph of the function is a straight line that intersects the x-axis at every point.