Nodal Analysis Problem: Where Did I Go Wrong in Using the Superposition Method?

In summary, at node B, the current which goes in are the current generated by Vs and ##R_1## and the independent current source. The current goes out from point B is ##I_2##.
terryds

Homework Statement

1214gf6.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
At node B,

##i_s + 3 = i_2##
## 3 + 3 = i_2##
##i_2 = 6A##
##V_2 = i_2/R_2 = 3V##

But, it seems that the answer is wrong. Using superposition method, the voltage is 4V
Please tell me where I got wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't understand your node equation. Can you explain the terms in detail? The current source term is clear, it's a fixed 3 A source, but I don't see any influence from the resistor values.

gneill said:
I can't understand your node equation. Can you explain the terms in detail? The current source term is clear, it's a fixed 3 A fGsource, but I don't see any influence from the resistor values.

The resistor 2 kilo ohms is at the right. Of course, it doesn't influence the independent current source.

I label the three points at the top as A , B , and C. Forget about what Va means. Let's call it Vb since it is on the point B.

At the point B, the current which goes in are the current generated by Vs and ##R_1## and the independent current source. The current goes out from point B is ##I_2##.
So,
in=out
##Vs/R_1 + 3 A = I_2##
##3 V / 1 k ohms + 3 A = I_2##
##I_2 = 3 + 3 * 10^-3 A = 3.003 A##
##V_2 = 3.003 A * 2 * 10 ^ 3 = 6006 A##

Which seems a wrong answer... In the book which use the superposition method, the ##I_2## is 1 mA and the voltage ##V_2## is 4 V... Please help me where I got wrong

terryds said:
At the point B, the current which goes in are the current generated by Vs and ##R_1## and the independent current source. The current goes out from point B is ##I_2##.
So,
in=out
##Vs/R_1 + 3 A = I_2##
The source current is not VsR1. What is the potential difference across R1? Does it not depend on the potential of the node B?

ehild said:
The source current is not VsR1. What is the potential difference across R1? Does it not depend on the potential of the node B?

Hmm.. You're right..

##\frac{V_B-V_A}{R_1}+3=i_2##
##\frac{V_B-V_s}{R_1}+3=i_2##
##\frac{V_B-3}{1000}+3=i_2##
##V_B - 3 + 3000 = i_2##
##V_B - i_2 = -2997##
##V_B -\frac{V_2}{2000} = -2997##

I'm stuck here

How to relate ##V_2## and ##V_B## ?

If I'm not wrong, ##V_A## = ##V_B## = ##V_C## because they are parallel, right ?
And, ##V_C## is ##V_2##, so ##V_B## = ##V_2## ?

Am I wrong about this voltage equality ??

If I'm not wrong, ##V_A## = ##V_B## = ##V_C## because they are parallel, right ?

Am I wrong about this voltage equality ??[/QUOTE]
No, that is right, VB=V2.

ehild said:

Am I wrong about this voltage equality ??
No, that is right, VB=V2.

If it's right, then ##V_2 = V_B =V_A = V_S = 3 V ##?? But, the answer is 4V :cry:

However, by substituting ##V_2## = ##V_B##, I get
##V_B - \frac{V_B}{2000} = -2997##
##2000V_B-V_B = -5994000##
##1999V_B = -5994000##
##V_B = \frac{-5994000}{1999} = -2998.49##

which seems to be an impossible answer..
Please help me..

terryds said:
##\frac{V_B-V_A}{R_1}+3=i_2##
You have a sign error in the first line. You assumed the current flowing from left to right, that means it is (VA-VB)/R1. The current flows in the direction of decreasng potential.
I think the current is given in mA instead of A, it is 3 mA instead of 3 A.

Likes terryds
You sure the ammeter is measuring 3 Amperes and not 3 milliamperes

ehild said:
You have a sign error in the first line. You assumed the current flowing from left to right, that means it is (VA-VB)/R1. The current flows in the direction of decreasng potential.
I think the current is given in mA instead of A, it is 3 mA instead of 3 A.

##\frac{3-V_B}{1000} + 3 * 10^-3 = \frac{V_B}{2000}##
##3-V_B+3=\frac{V_B}{2}##
##V_B = 4 Volt##

Thanks for your help...

Anyway, you haven't answered my question :
If it's right, then V2=VB=VA=VS=3V?? But, the answer is 4V :cry:
Why ##V_B## is not equal to ##V_S## since it is parallel ??

mpresic said:
You sure the ammeter is measuring 3 Amperes and not 3 milliamperes

Maybe it is an error in the book.. It should be 3 miliamps not 3 amps

V2=VB, but not equal to VA. The source and the R2 resistors are not parallel. When are two elements connected in parallel?

ehild said:
V2=VB, but not equal to VA. The source and the R2 resistors are not parallel. When are two elements connected in parallel?

I think ##V_S## and ##I_S## are in parallel. So, I think VA = VB..
I think two elements connected in parallel means that they are opposite direction..
But, Hmm...
So, the better definition is parallel-connection means that the currents are divided to sections, right ?
So, the voltage source is neither parallel to the current source (vertical line B) nor the R2 (vertical line C), right ?

Parallel connection of two element means that both terminals of one of them is common with the other one.The voltage is the same across both elements.
Series connection means one common terminal, and nothing else is connected to that. The same current flows through both elements.

Likes terryds

What is nodal analysis problem?

Nodal analysis problem is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current at each node in a network. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node.

How is nodal analysis problem solved?

Nodal analysis problem is solved by writing a set of equations based on KCL for each node in the circuit. These equations can then be solved simultaneously to find the unknown voltages and currents at each node.

What are the advantages of using nodal analysis problem?

There are several advantages of using nodal analysis problem. It is a systematic and reliable method for solving complex circuits. It also allows for easy incorporation of dependent sources and is independent of the choice of reference node.

Are there any limitations of nodal analysis problem?

Yes, there are some limitations of nodal analysis problem. It can become complicated for circuits with a large number of nodes and it can also be time-consuming. Additionally, the method may not work for circuits with non-linear elements.

How is nodal analysis problem different from other circuit analysis methods?

Nodal analysis problem is different from other circuit analysis methods, such as mesh analysis, in that it focuses on the nodes of the circuit rather than the loops. It also takes into account the direction of current flow, rather than assuming a direction.