Problem With Nodal Analysis Question

In summary: You can also use KCL on the essential nodes to solve for the node voltages, and then use KVL on other paths to solve for the individual currents.
wenqin123

Homework Statement

https://courses.edx.org/static/content-mit-802x~2013_Spring/html/ps3_p3_fig1_a.png

$$ R_1 = 7 \Omega \quad
R_2 = 49 \Omega \quad
R_3 = 52 \Omega \quad
R_4 = 91 \Omega \quad
R_5 = 101 \Omega $$
$$ V_1 = 5V \quad V_2 = 39V \quad V_3 = 44V$$

Homework Equations

$$ I = \frac{V}{R} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing KCL for nodes B and M.

I follow the direction of the current in the circuit diagram. Furthemore, current flows into node M in the branch with the R_5 resistor, and flows away from node M into the branch with the R_3 resistor on the side (I ignore node N because I assume that it is the same node as node M).
Also, currents leaving a node are negative while currents that enter a node are positive.

I ground node M.

When I first see the negative terminal of a battery source, I count that as a voltage lift, otherwise, it is a voltage drop.
$$
\\
\\
\frac{(D-(B+V_3))}{R_2} + \frac{((M-V_2)-B)}{R_2} - \frac{(B-A)}{R_2} = 0
\\
\\
\\
\frac{(G-M)}{R_5}-\frac{(M-D)}{R_3} - \frac{((M-V_2)-B)}{R_2} = 0
$$
The first equation was for node B and the second was for node M.

Some places where I might have messed up:
I assume that G is +5V because it is next to the positive terminal of the battery and A is -5V since it is next to the negative terminal of the battery.
For node M with the branch that has resistor R_4, I subtracted the voltage V_2 from node M since we hit the positive battery terminal which a represents voltage drop. While for node B, I added the voltage V_3 to B since we hit the negative battery terminal first, which represents a voltage lift from the battery.

I then simplify the equation with those inferences and plug in the values for the the voltage and resistance of each branch:
$$
\\
\\
\frac{(D-(B+44))}{49} + \frac{((0-39)-B)}{91} - \frac{(B-(-6))}{7} = 0
\\
\\
\\
\frac{(6-0)}{101}-\frac{(0-D)}{52} - \frac{((0-39)-B)}{91} = 0
$$
I plug in the two equations into wolfram alpha to solve the system, and I get that
$$B = -4.9V \quad D= -22.7V$$
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...-6)/7)+=+0,++6/101+-+(-d)/52+-+(-39-b)/91+=+0

I checked to see if the node potentials for B and D were correct by solving for I_2.
$$ I_2 = \frac{(B-V_3)-D}{R_2}
\\
\\
I_2 = \frac{(-4.9-44)+22.7}{49} = -0.53A$$
While the correct answer is 0.449A.

Could someone help me see where I went wrong? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, there is only two essential nodes, so once you set node (M,N) to ground that leaves node B as the only other essential node. This means you only need to write ONE KCL equation to solve for one unknown nodal voltage. I think the problem you have here is that you need to write KVL equations. Ill start you off,

Going from B->A->G->M, this is the branch current that connects the two essential nodes. We start at voltage VB, so

VB-VR1+V1-VR5=0
VB+V1=VR1+VR5
Here I have the voltage drop across the resistors in terms of the source and the unknown,
so for this branch of KCL i would have
[itex]\frac{Vb+V1}{R1+R2}[/itex]+...+...=0

Now do the same for B->M and B->D->M, I do my current direction from the Node VB to the reference node, and came out with -0.449A, so 0.449A is correct for I2.

bennyq said:
Firstly, there is only two essential nodes, so once you set node (M,N) to ground that leaves node B as the only other essential node. This means you only need to write ONE KCL equation to solve for one unknown nodal voltage. I think the problem you have here is that you need to write KVL equations. Ill start you off,

Going from B->A->G->M, this is the branch current that connects the two essential nodes. We start at voltage VB, so

VB-VR1+V1-VR5=0
VB+V1=VR1+VR5
Here I have the voltage drop across the resistors in terms of the source and the unknown,
so for this branch of KCL i would have
[itex]\frac{Vb+V1}{R1+R2}[/itex]+...+...=0

Now do the same for B->M and B->D->M, I do my current direction from the Node VB to the reference node, and came out with -0.449A, so 0.449A is correct for I2.

Is it possible to solve for the currents using KCL?

wenqin123 said:
Is it possible to solve for the currents using KCL?

Sure, but slightly indirectly. The KCL node equation is comprised of the sum of the individual branch currents entering/leaving the node. Once you solve for the node voltage you can break out each of those terms individually to give the individual currents.

I would first like to commend you on your thorough attempt at solving this problem. Your application of KCL and consideration of current direction are correct. However, I believe there are a few errors in your equations and assumptions that may have led to the incorrect values for B and D.

1. In the first equation for node B, you have written V_3 instead of V_2 in the first term. This should be corrected to:
$$
\frac{(D-(B+39))}{49} + \frac{((M-V_2)-B)}{91} - \frac{(B-A)}{7} = 0
$$
2. In the second equation for node M, you have written G instead of A. This should be corrected to:
$$
\frac{(A-M)}{101}-\frac{(M-D)}{52} - \frac{((M-V_2)-B)}{91} = 0
$$
3. Your assumption that G is +5V and A is -5V may not be correct. The voltage at these nodes should be determined by the voltage divider rule, taking into account the resistors R_1 and R_5. This would give G a voltage of 3.41V and A a voltage of -3.41V.
4. Your application of voltage drops and lifts may also be incorrect. The voltage drop across R_2 should be (M - V_2) - (B - V_2), as the current is flowing from M to B. Similarly, the voltage drop across R_4 should be (0 - V_2) - (D - V_2), as the current is flowing from 0 to D. This would give a different set of equations:
$$
\frac{(D-(B+39))}{49} + \frac{((M-V_2)-B)}{91} - \frac{(B-A)}{7} = 0
$$
$$
\frac{(G-M)}{R_5}-\frac{(M-D)}{R_3} - \frac{((M-V_2)-B)}{91} = 0
$$
5. Finally, when solving for I_2, you should use the corrected values for B and D in the equation:
$$
I_2 = \frac{(B-V_2)-(D

What is nodal analysis and how does it work?

Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits and determine the voltage at each node of the circuit. It works by applying Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. This allows us to create a system of equations and solve for the unknown node voltages.

What is the difference between node and mesh analysis?

Both node and mesh analysis are methods used to analyze electrical circuits. The main difference is that node analysis involves solving for the voltage at each individual node, while mesh analysis involves solving for the current in each individual loop or mesh of the circuit. Node analysis is typically used for circuits with multiple voltage sources, while mesh analysis is more suitable for circuits with multiple current sources.

What are the limitations of nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a powerful tool for analyzing electrical circuits, but it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it can only be used for circuits with a single reference node. Another limitation is that it can become more complex and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of nodes or branches.

How do you handle dependent sources in nodal analysis?

Dependent sources, such as voltage-controlled voltage sources or current-controlled current sources, can be a bit tricky to handle in nodal analysis. The key is to use a variable to represent the dependent source and then write an equation relating that variable to the node voltages. This equation can then be incorporated into the nodal analysis equations to solve for the unknown node voltages.

Can nodal analysis be applied to both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, nodal analysis can be applied to both DC and AC circuits. However, for AC circuits, we need to take into account the reactance of the circuit elements in addition to their resistance. This means that the equations used in nodal analysis for AC circuits will include complex numbers and the solution will provide the magnitude and phase of the node voltages.