Nodal analysis with voltage source

In summary, the nodes in the circuit are VA, VB, R1, R2, and R4. The voltage sources are 10 V and 2 V. The equations that I came up with are VA-10/1.1+VA/1.2+VA-VB/1.4=0 and VB+2/1.5+VB-VA/1.4+.5=0.
Stevenfred

Homework Statement

Use nodal analysis to calculate Va, Vb, and the currents IE1 and IE2 without using source conversions

I have tried this many, many times, and I must be missing something

Homework Equations

[/B]
The equations I came up with:

VA-10/ 1.1 + VA/1.2 +VA-VB/1.4 = 0

VB+2/1.5 + VB-VA/1.4 +.5 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This results in

VA (1/1.1+1/1.2 + 1/1.4) - VB (1/1.4) = 10/1.1
-VA ( 1/ 1.4) + VB (1/1.5+1/1.4) = -1.833

when put in a matrix, I am getting the wrong answers, because VA is supposed to be -4.81 and VB is supposed to be -1.80

Thanks for your help
another exam one.jpg
another exam one.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Stevenfred, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Your diagram doesn't specify where you've chosen to put VA and VB. Can you clarify that? I suspect that you've got some issues dealing with the voltage sources in the branches, but we should start with a firm definition of the nodes.

Sorry that slipped my mind, and thank you for the welcome. Node A is the left side directly under R2 and Node B is on the right under R4.

The voltage on one side of R1 is Va. The voltage on the other side of R1 is -10V. The voltage difference gives you the voltage across R1, and the voltage difference is Va - (-10).

Now, try again to find the voltage difference across R3.

Stevenfred said:
Sorry that slipped my mind, and thank you for the welcome. Node A is the left side directly under R2 and Node B is on the right under R4.
Okay, no problem. So your circuit looks like this:
Fig1.png

Stevenfred said:
The equations I came up with:

VA-10/ 1.1 + VA/1.2 +VA-VB/1.4 = 0

VB+2/1.5 + VB-VA/1.4 +.5 = 0
For the first equation, note that the 10 V source effectively increases the potential to the reference node. That is, if you assume a current ##I## flowing from VA towards the reference node, a "KVL walk" of the branch would be: ##VA - I~R1 +10 = 0##, making ##I = (VA + 10)/1.1## . You've also left out the 2 V source in the branch between VA and VB. Can you redo the first equation now?

For the second equation, I don't understand your first term. I see only the 1.5k resistor in that branch so the 2V value is a mystery, and the second term leaves out the 2 V source in the VB to VA branch. The .5 term for the current is fine though.

You should get in the habit of using parentheses to group your terms so that the order of operations is clear. VB - VA/1.4 is something quite different from (VA - VB)/1.4 :smile:

Thank you all for your help, I figured it out .:smile:

1. What is nodal analysis with voltage source?

Nodal analysis with voltage source is a circuit analysis technique used to determine unknown voltages and currents in a circuit by considering the voltage at each node (connection point) in the circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node must equal zero.

2. How is nodal analysis with voltage source different from other circuit analysis techniques?

Nodal analysis with voltage source differs from other techniques, such as mesh analysis or Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, in that it is specifically used for circuits with voltage sources. It allows for a more simplified analysis of the circuit, as it reduces the number of equations needed to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are the steps for performing nodal analysis with voltage source?

The steps for performing nodal analysis with voltage source are as follows:

• 1. Identify all nodes in the circuit and label them with a unique variable (e.g. V1, V2, etc.).
  • 2. Choose a reference node and label it as 0 volts.
  • 3. Write Kirchhoff's Current Law equations for each node (except the reference node), using the node voltages and known currents.
  • 4. Solve the resulting equations to determine the unknown node voltages.

4. What are the benefits of using nodal analysis with voltage source?

Nodal analysis with voltage source has several benefits, including:

• 1. It allows for a more simplified analysis of the circuit, as it reduces the number of equations needed.
  • 2. It is versatile and can be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources.
  • 3. It can easily be extended to include nonlinear circuit elements.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using nodal analysis with voltage source?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using nodal analysis with voltage source include:

• 1. Forgetting to include all nodes in the analysis.
  • 2. Incorrectly labeling the reference node or assigning the wrong voltage value to it.
  • 3. Not writing the Kirchhoff's Current Law equations correctly.
  • 4. Using the incorrect sign for the current direction in the equations.
  • 5. Making calculation errors when solving the equations.