Noise Margins & Gain Homework Help

• Thread starter DODGEVIPER13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gain Noise
In summary, the conversation discusses questions regarding noise margins and gain terminology in digital circuits. The speaker is seeking help with understanding how to read gain on a graph and how to find Vol, Vil, Vih, and Voh. Noise margins are explained as a way to prevent false tripping caused by noise in logic lines. The speaker also mentions that they have not gained any further insights but are still curious about how the information was derived.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

I really need help with them all but I mostly have a question over the problems with noise margins or gain terminology. The problems are located here on tutorial problems under the digital abstraction it is the second one under tutorial problems. The problems can be found here http://6004.mit.edu/ To be specific To limit my needs problem 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what gain means, I know that to be a combination all device it must be gain>1 but what does this mean in terms of a graph. in other words how do I read gain by looking at a chart. Also how do I find Vol, Vil, Vih, Voh just by looking at the chart? Also what does noise margins mean exactly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I guess noise can come from any electrical device such as resistors, inductors, or capacitors that can modify a waveform? And the noise margins must be the shift from that but how can I see these as the guys at MIT did without having that info but just by simply observing the graph?

Ah gain must be the slope between points if it only goes 1 between each point then it doesn't have enough if it goes at least 2 or something then it is gain>1

DODGEVIPER13 said:

Homework Statement

I really need help with them all but I mostly have a question over the problems with noise margins or gain terminology. The problems are located here on tutorial problems under the digital abstraction it is the second one under tutorial problems. The problems can be found here http://6004.mit.edu/ To be specific To limit my needs problem 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what gain means, I know that to be a combination all device it must be gain>1 but what does this mean in terms of a graph. in other words how do I read gain by looking at a chart. Also how do I find Vol, Vil, Vih, Voh just by looking at the chart? Also what does noise margins mean exactly?

Noise margin in digital circuits is afforded by Vol < Vil and Voh > Vih. So even when you have some noise present in the logic lines, there is sufficient drive voltage to drive the inputs of the next gate far enough so that the noise does not cause false tripping.

The gain is indeed the slope of the Vo vs. Vi graph. You prefer to have a high gain, to help the switching of the gate to occur quickly.

Have you gotten any more insights into Vol, Voh, Vil, Vih since posting this a couple days ago?

No and thanks for the response

DODGEVIPER13 said:
No and thanks for the response

Why? No more insights? Haven't been doing any more reading or studying? Do you have specific follow-up questions?

I have been looking at other things because I didnt understand it? I do still wonder how they came up with those though, I just simply forgot about it because it had been so long.

Related to Noise Margins & Gain Homework Help

What is the purpose of noise margins and gain in electronic circuits?

The purpose of noise margins and gain in electronic circuits is to ensure that the circuit is able to operate reliably and accurately despite any external interference or fluctuations. Noise margins refer to the difference between the minimum and maximum voltage levels that can be interpreted as valid logic states, while gain refers to the amplification of the input signal to produce the desired output signal.

How do noise margins and gain affect the performance of electronic circuits?

Noise margins and gain play a crucial role in determining the performance of electronic circuits. A larger noise margin allows for a greater tolerance to noise and variations in voltage levels, resulting in a more reliable circuit. Similarly, a higher gain can improve the sensitivity and accuracy of the circuit's output.

What are the different types of noise that can affect electronic circuits?

There are several types of noise that can affect electronic circuits, including thermal noise, shot noise, flicker noise, and crosstalk. Thermal noise is caused by the random motion of electrons in a conductor, while shot noise is generated by the discrete nature of current flow. Flicker noise, also known as 1/f noise, is caused by fluctuations in the resistance of a material, and crosstalk is the interference between neighboring circuits.

How can noise margins and gain be improved in electronic circuits?

Noise margins and gain can be improved in electronic circuits through various techniques, such as using shielding to reduce external interference, using high-quality components, and implementing signal processing algorithms to filter out noise. Additionally, proper circuit design and layout can also help to minimize noise and improve gain.

What are some common applications of noise margins and gain in electronic circuits?

Noise margins and gain are essential in a wide range of electronic circuits, including digital logic circuits, analog amplifiers, and communication systems. They are also important in high-speed circuits, where noise and gain can significantly impact the performance and reliability of the circuit.