Non-academic career with PhD in physical/molecular biology

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's current enrollment in a BSc into MSc program that combines chemistry, molecular biology, and physical chemistry. They mention their age and future plans, including a potential 4-year PhD program and interest in moving into business. The individual also expresses their desire to specialize in math and physics, and their consideration of a different MSc program at a top 30 university. They also mention the job market for chemical engineers and microbiologists/medical researchers, and their concerns about competing with younger or more experienced individuals. The post concludes with the possibility of switching to a different field for their MSc but feeling less aligned with their scientific interests.
Almeisan
I am currently in a BSc into MSc program (continental Europe) that combines chemistry, molecular biology and a bit of physical chemistry. It is very much interdisciplinary. About 90% of the people continue into a PhD program and students with this career are preferred as PhD students because of the nature of the curriculum.

My angle is that I am currently 29 years old. When I finish I will be 34 or so. I can go into a 4 year PhD job, it is a job in my native country where one is paid and builds up a pension, and I think I would like to do such a PhD program. It seems much harder to do one overseas, where one is considered a student and where I have to look for a grant or scholarship to make it all affordable. One day I have to pay for a mortgage and build a family.
But in the end I think I don't want a career in academics. I think I want to move into business.

The way I want to specialize myself is take a minor in math and physics. I want as much hard science in my BSc as possible. I can do a minor at the physics department, but I am not quite sure how some freshman classes will give me an edge in my field as I don't learn any applications. But somehow I have it in my mind I want to be as hard a scientist as possible. But I want to end up doing research into biological systems, so I am doing the right degree currently.

I am considering doing a MSc program at a different top 30 university in life science or chemistry. I don't want to go to a university rated lower than the one I am currently at, so that basically limits it to top30. I see most of these limit their MSc to current students or combine the MSc with a PhD.

Then when I finally get on the job market, chemical engineers are much more wanted than biologists.
I don't want to do any chemical engineering or chemical technology. I don't feel that is my thing, though the job prospects are so much better. I kind of feel like a company would hire me, a big shot PhD guy, and then I wouldn't know anything about actually producing a product. There's only so many pure research jobs out there in business.
Also, microbiologists or medical researchers are much more wanted than molecular biologists. Also, a PhD may mean very little to most businesses except if you have the ambition to one day lead a whole research department. So I have doubts about these thing. As I get older I seem to start to care more about financial stability.

When I get onto the job market I will have to compete with people that are either 8 years younger than I am, or have 8 years more experience(or somewhere in between). So I am looking for an edge, somehow.

Currently I am taking all the hardest courses and getting good marks, hopefully I can finish my BSc cum laude. Maybe getting into Oxford or Cambridge will then be possible, but they don't have MSc programs. Maybe I will just have to take the risk and invest in a PhD there, or in the U.S., if I get the opportunity. I still want to spend some time studying or working in an English speaking country.

Ok, long post, no clear question. Maybe some people can share experiences. It would be interesting to hear any insights chemists/physicists or people in academics in the US/UK/Canada can provide.
I can still switch to biotechnological engineering, chemical technology or biomedical research for my MSc, but that may cost an additional 6 months of study and I feel like they resonate much less with my scientific interests.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What are some non-academic career options for someone with a PhD in physical/molecular biology?

Some common non-academic career options for individuals with a PhD in physical/molecular biology include working in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries, conducting research in government agencies or private laboratories, and pursuing a career in science communication or science policy.

2. Will a PhD in physical/molecular biology limit my career options outside of academia?

No, a PhD in physical/molecular biology provides a strong foundation in scientific research and critical thinking skills that are highly valued in many industries. Many individuals with this degree find success in a variety of non-academic fields.

3. Can I still use my research skills in a non-academic career?

Absolutely. Research skills are highly transferable and can be applied in a variety of industries. In non-academic careers, you may use your research skills to develop new products, analyze data, or solve complex problems.

4. What kind of salary can I expect in a non-academic career with a PhD in physical/molecular biology?

The salary for non-academic careers with a PhD in physical/molecular biology varies depending on the specific job and industry. However, many non-academic positions in this field offer competitive salaries and opportunities for advancement.

5. Will I need additional training or education for a non-academic career with a PhD in physical/molecular biology?

In some cases, additional training or education may be required for a non-academic career in this field. However, the skills and knowledge gained during a PhD program are often sufficient for many non-academic positions. It is important to research and network within your desired industry to determine the specific requirements for your desired career path.