Non-homogeneous differential equation, undetermined coefficients

In summary, the given problem was to solve the IVP y''+6y'+9y=4e-x with the initial values y(0)=2 and y'(0)=-2. After analyzing the solution provided by the individual, it was determined that the homogeneous solution had a repeated root, thus leading to the correct solution y=(1+2x)e-3x+e-x.
ToastIQ
Hi!
I've been stuck on this problem for 2 days. I'm new here and I've just spent another hour on trying to figure out Latex, but it always ends up in a mess so I'll try without. I hope that's okay.

The equation is

y''+6y'+9y=4e-x

with the value boundaries (I think that's what it's called in english?) y(0)=2 and y'(0)=-2.

I got the complementary solution to yc=C1e-3x+C2e-3x.

I'm assuming my mistake is somewhere after this. I set up the particular solution:

yp=Ae-x and get
y'p=-Ae-x and y''p=Ae-x.
I get A=1. Combining complementary and particular solution:

y=C1e-3x+C2e-3x+e-x

I can't seem to get the right coefficients. The result should be

y=(1+2x)e-3x+e-x.

I've tried with and without the 4 in 4e-x, I've tried multiplying by x to get a higher degree and several other alternatives. I've been searching the internet for the most of the past 48 hours. I read somewhere that e-x is a "special case" but no example for this case was given. My textbook doesn't touch upon this at all. It would be very appreciated if someone could help me out.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB! (Wave)

The first thing I notice when reviewing your work, is that you have a repeated root in your characteristic equation, and so the homogeneous solution should be:

\(\displaystyle y_h(x)=c_1e^{-3x}+c_2xe^{-3x}\)

See if that gets you to the correct solution. :)

MarkFL said:
Hello and welcome to MHB! (Wave)

The first thing I notice when reviewing your work, is that you have a repeated root in your characteristic equation, and so the homogeneous solution should be:

See if that gets you to the correct solution. :)
Thank you for your reply.

I actually remember trying this alternative too. This gave me the right coefficient for C1 but I still got it wrong for C2. I tried again and saw I had the wrong derivative for C2xe-3x. That solved the problem.
Thanks a lot! :)

I've moved this thread here to our "Differential Equations" forum as it is a better fit, and for the benefit of guests who may visit I'm going to provide a full solution.

We are given to solve the IVP:

\(\displaystyle y''+6y'+9y=4e^{-x}\) where \(\displaystyle y(0)=2,\,y'(0)=-2\)

As discussed above, you homogeneous solution is:

And our particular solution will take the form:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=Ae^{-x}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle y_p'(x)=-Ae^{-x}\)

\(\displaystyle y_p''(x)=Ae^{-x}\)

Substituting into the given ODE, we find:

\(\displaystyle Ae^{-x}-6Ae^{-x}+9Ae^{-x}=4e^{-x}\)

Multiply through by $e^x$, since $e^x\ne0$:

\(\displaystyle A-6A+9A=4\)

\(\displaystyle 4A=4\implies A=1\)

And so our particular solution is:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=e^{-x}\)

Now, by the principle of superposition, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=y_h(x)+y_p(x)=c_1e^{-3x}+c_2xe^{-3x}+e^{-x}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle y'(x)=-3c_1e^{-3x}-3c_2xe^{-3x}+c_2e^{-3x}-e^{-x}\)

Now, using general initial values, we may write:

\(\displaystyle y(0)=c_1+1=y_0\implies c_1=y_0-1\)

\(\displaystyle y'(0)=-3c_1+c_2-1=-3\left(y_0-1\right)+c_2-1=2-3y_0+c_2=y'_0\implies c_2=3y_0+y'_0-2\)

And so the general solution is:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=\left(y_0-1\right)e^{-3x}+\left(3y_0+y'_0-2\right)xe^{-3x}+e^{-x}\)

Plugging in the given initial values, we obtain the solution to the IVP:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=\left(2-1\right)e^{-3x}+\left(3(2)+(-2)-2\right)xe^{-3x}+e^{-x}=e^{-3x}+2xe^{-3x}+e^{-x}\)

1. What is a non-homogeneous differential equation?

A non-homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation where the right-hand side is not equal to zero. In other words, it includes a non-zero function or constant on the right side of the equation.

2. How is it different from a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation has a right-hand side equal to zero, meaning it only includes derivatives and variables on the left side of the equation. A non-homogeneous differential equation, on the other hand, includes additional terms on the right side.

3. What are undetermined coefficients?

Undetermined coefficients are the unknown constants that are added to the particular solution of a non-homogeneous differential equation to make it equal to the original equation. These coefficients are determined by using a method known as the method of undetermined coefficients.

4. How is the method of undetermined coefficients used to solve non-homogeneous differential equations?

The method of undetermined coefficients involves finding a particular solution for the non-homogeneous differential equation by assuming a form for the solution and then solving for the unknown coefficients. This solution is then added to the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation to get the final solution for the non-homogeneous equation.

5. Are there any other methods for solving non-homogeneous differential equations?

Yes, there are other methods such as variation of parameters and Laplace transforms that can also be used to solve non-homogeneous differential equations. However, the method of undetermined coefficients is often the most efficient and straightforward method for many types of non-homogeneous equations.