Non-hydrocarbon based instrument lubricants

• Thread starter Mgt3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Instrument
In summary: Apparently, this reaction causes the phosphate group in the silicone to react with the silicone oil, resulting in the removal of the oxide layer. In summary, non-hydrocarbon based lubricants must be used on micrometer threads because many lubricants do not have adequate film strength. Hydrocarbons are the only type of lubricant that can be used on these instruments.
Mgt3
TL;DR Summary
Question about lubricants not made from hydrocarbons
Are there any non-hydrocarbon based lubricants that can be used on instruments like micrometer threads? I know silicone grease exists, but it doesn't have the film strength to protect the metal. Are hydrocarbons the only game in town?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You really should learn to use Google. Search for "non hydrocarbon lubricant" and you'll get 981,000 results
1645626634001.png

Likes Vanadium 50
What unusual forces are there on the micrometer screw ?
What materials are the screws made from ?
Why are non-hydrocarbon lubricants required ?
Graphite.
Molybdenum disulfide.
Lead dust is used to lubricate bearings in closed vacuum systems.

Likes Mgt3
phinds said:
You really should learn to use Google. Search for "non hydrocarbon lubricant" and you'll get 981,000 results
I did, but I also came across the fact that many of these lubricants do not have adequate film strength for metal on metal contact. So I asked the question.

Mgt3 said:
I did
Then why did you ask
Mgt3 said:
Are hydrocarbons the only game in town?
If you had already answered you own question

phinds said:
Then why did you ask

If you had already answered you own question
You're not reading what I said, which was, "but I also came across the fact that many of these lubricants do not have adequate film strength for metal on metal contact." The question is, while there are other lubricants, the information I have come across said many of these lubricants are not good for metal-on-metal contact because of the lack of film strength. Hence, I am asking which if any of these other lubricants could protect a micrometer screw.

Mgt3 said:
The question is, while there are other lubricants, the information I have come across said many of these lubricants are not good for metal-on-metal contact because of the lack of film strength.
That sounds like marketing to me. Where did you read it ?
Please provide us with a link or a reference.

There should be very little force on a micrometer screw thread.
The last thing you want is a thick lubrication film on the thread.
Read the manufacturers lubrication specifications.

Why is "non-hyrdrocarbon" critical here. Furthermore, I've never heard of anyone lubricating micrometer threads in the first place. I have a Starrett 1" mic that's at least 60 years old and requires no lubrication at all. Threads are ground and polished and have very little friction. I don't move it fast it enough to generate any wear.

phinds said:
Search for "non hydrocarbon lubricant"
Gun oil doesn't have any hydrocarbons? I think mine does, but I'll have to check tonight...

1645635103056.png

If you have critical instrumentation lubrication needs I would recommend these types.
https://www.krytox.com/en/products

Do not mix perfluoropolyether based lubes with a hydrocarbon-based grease.

trainman2001 said:
Why is "non-hyrdrocarbon" critical here. Furthermore, I've never heard of anyone lubricating micrometer threads in the first place. I have a Starrett 1" mic that's at least 60 years old and requires no lubrication at all. Threads are ground and polished and have very little friction. I don't move it fast it enough to generate any wear.
How does metal-on-metal not wear?

Mgt3 said:
How does metal-on-metal not wear?
Selected dissimilar metals that do not oxidise, high quality finish, without a load.

Mgt3 said:
The question is, while there are other lubricants, the information I have come across said many of these lubricants are not good for metal-on-metal contact because of the lack of film strength.
Baluncore said:
That sounds like marketing to me. Where did you read it ?
Please provide us with a link or a reference.
Tribology is a peer reviewed science, not marketing with misinformation.
@Mgt3 When are you going to provide the reference that claims hydrocarbon lubricants are not good for metal-on-metal contact ?

Mgt3 said:
Summary:: Question about lubricants not made from hydrocarbons
Are hydrocarbons the only game in town?
Consider also hexagonal boron nitrite, BNh .
BNh is a good lubricant for high temperatures, oxygen atmospheres, space or vacuum systems, or where electrical insulation is important. BNh replaces graphite which is conductive and oxidises.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron_nitride#Hexagonal_BN

A tip learned the hard way:

edit: Added phosphoric acid, 2 places & a footnote. /edit

The local college was selling off surplus used equipment where I found a 1"-to-2" micrometer with the 1.000" calibration standard for Zero setting.

I cleaned it up with phosphoric acid and it was good... Then I applied some Silicone Grease to the threads. That is when I found that the Satin finish on the micrometer, the phosphoric acid, and Silicone Grease are NOT compatible!

It seems that the Satin finish, along with any oxide layer on the threads, were completely removed, leaving a virgin, and active, metal surface. After a few turns of the spindle the threads seized solid.

A rather discouraging way to learn something new. :cry:

p.s. In a later discussion with a chemist friend, he mentioned a half-remembered reaction between phosphoric acid and silicone grease.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Baluncore, berkeman and anorlunda

1. What are non-hydrocarbon based instrument lubricants?

Non-hydrocarbon based instrument lubricants are lubricants that are not derived from petroleum or natural gas. They are made from synthetic or plant-based materials, such as silicone, esters, and vegetable oils.

2. Why are non-hydrocarbon based instrument lubricants important?

Non-hydrocarbon based instrument lubricants are important because they offer several advantages over traditional petroleum-based lubricants. They are less toxic, more biodegradable, and have better performance in extreme temperatures. They also do not leave behind harmful residues or contribute to air pollution.

3. What types of instruments can benefit from non-hydrocarbon based lubricants?

Non-hydrocarbon based lubricants can be used on a wide range of instruments, including but not limited to medical devices, laboratory equipment, and precision machinery. They are also suitable for use in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and food processing.

4. Are non-hydrocarbon based instrument lubricants safe to use?

Yes, non-hydrocarbon based instrument lubricants are generally considered safe to use. They are often non-toxic and non-irritating, making them suitable for use in sensitive environments such as hospitals and laboratories. However, it is always important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when handling any type of lubricant.

5. Can non-hydrocarbon based instrument lubricants be used as a replacement for traditional lubricants?

In some cases, yes, non-hydrocarbon based instrument lubricants can be used as a replacement for traditional lubricants. However, it is important to consider the specific needs and requirements of the instrument and consult with the manufacturer before making any changes to the lubricant used. Some instruments may require a specific type of lubricant for optimal performance and using the wrong type could potentially damage the instrument.