Non-Latex T-Shirt Slingshot for Robotics Team: Ideas for Band Alternatives

• Thread starter stephenkohnle53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cannon
In summary, the conversation includes a request for ideas on non-latex bands for a t shirt slingshot and a suggestion to check out exercise bands or browse websites like McMaster-Carr for options.
stephenkohnle53
I am part of a robotics team and even though I know very little engineering I would like to create a t shirt slingshot without latex. Any ideas on bands I can use for that, that is not latex

Engineering news on Phys.org
stephenkohnle53 said:
I am part of a robotics team and even though I know very little engineering I would like to create a t shirt slingshot without latex. Any ideas on bands I can use for that, that is not latex
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Have a look at the exercise bands that you can get at sporting goods stores. I doubt they are made from latex.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4c/52/63/4c526390220727d481f454a8edd5ecfd.jpg
4c526390220727d481f454a8edd5ecfd.jpg

Attachments

• 4c526390220727d481f454a8edd5ecfd.jpg
    4c526390220727d481f454a8edd5ecfd.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 364
McMaster-Carr, www.mcmaster.com, is an excellent source for miscellaneous stuff. A great place to browse if you are looking for something, but are not sure what's available. Go there, and try search terms rubber, elastic, and bungee.

They will sell to anybody, and do not have a minimum order.

1. What is a Non-Latex T-Shirt Slingshot?

A Non-Latex T-Shirt Slingshot is a device made from a t-shirt and rubber bands that can be used to launch small objects, such as ping pong balls, for robotics team activities. It is a safer and more cost-effective alternative to traditional slingshots made from latex materials.

2. How does a Non-Latex T-Shirt Slingshot work?

The t-shirt is folded and stretched over a frame with rubber bands attached to create a pouch. The object is placed in the pouch and the rubber bands are pulled back and released, propelling the object forward.

3. What are the benefits of using a Non-Latex T-Shirt Slingshot for robotics team activities?

Using a Non-Latex T-Shirt Slingshot is a fun and safe way to incorporate hands-on activities into robotics team meetings. It also promotes teamwork and critical thinking as team members work together to design and improve their slingshot designs. Additionally, it is a more budget-friendly option compared to purchasing traditional slingshots or other expensive equipment.

4. Can the Non-Latex T-Shirt Slingshot be customized?

Yes, the Non-Latex T-Shirt Slingshot can be customized to fit the needs and preferences of the robotics team. The size, shape, and number of rubber bands can be adjusted to achieve different levels of power and accuracy. The t-shirt can also be decorated or painted to add a personal touch to the design.

5. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when using a Non-Latex T-Shirt Slingshot?

As with any activity involving projectiles, safety should always be a top priority. It is important to establish rules and guidelines for proper use of the slingshot, such as wearing safety goggles and only launching objects in a designated area. It is also recommended to have adult supervision during use, especially for younger team members.