Non-rotating vector fields with non-zero Curl

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of curl in vector fields and how it can be interpreted as the amount of rotation in the field. It also mentions that some vector fields may not appear to rotate, but still have a non-zero curl. The conversation ends with a question asking for examples of such fields. The conversation also briefly touches on the relationship between curl and fluid velocity fields.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
In some texts the author tries to interpret operations like Curl.
Some say the curl of a vector field shows the amount of rotation of the vector field
But some of them say,if you put a wheel in a fluid velocity field which is like the vector field at hand,if it can rotate the wheel,then it has non-zero curl.
For example the field [itex] \vec{F}=z \hat{y} [/itex] does not rotate by itself but if it shows a fluid velocity field,it can rotate wheels inside it and it has non-zero curl
But I'm just uneasy with the idea
maybe seeing more vector fields like this,ones which do not seem to rotate but have non-zero curl,make me better But I can't find more of such fields
Do you know one?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The point is that the field itself is not "rotating" because all motion is in the x- direction. If this were a flow of water, every molecule would flow in a straight line. But the speed of the the water would vary and, if fact, all water molecules above the xy-plane would flow in the positive y direction, all molecules below would flow in the negative y diretction. That is, if we were to put a "water wheel" with axis along the x-axis, water flowing by above the xy-plane would push it in the positive y direction, water flowing by beneath would push it in the negatve z direction and so it would rotate clockwise- as seen looking at it form x< 0. That is an argument why curl f= [itex]\nabla f[/itex], which, here is
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial }{\partial y} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\ 0 & z & 0\end{array}\right|= -\vec{i}[/tex]
is non zero even though every water molecule is moving in a straight line.

And, it works the other way. Imagine that you are holding a pan of water in front of you. Very slowly, so that you do not "slosh", move that pan around in a circle in front of you. Now, every water molecule in the pan is moving in a circle, relative to the ground but there is no "rotary motion". If you were to write out the equations for the motion of the water, in x, y, z terms, you would get curl 0.

maybe seeing more vector fields like this,ones which do not seem to rotate but have non-zero curl,make me better But I can't find more of such fields
Do you know one?

Think about what you are asking.

The curl of any vector (a,b,c) is another vector (r,s,t)

for zero curl this requires r=s=t=0 since for any non zero r,s or t the modulus of the curl vector is √(r2+s2+t2)

However the velocity field in a fluid boundary layer is not (usaually) rotating, but has non zero curl. It may contain rotating vortices though.

Last edited:

Related to Non-rotating vector fields with non-zero Curl

1. What is a non-rotating vector field with non-zero curl?

A non-rotating vector field with non-zero curl is a type of vector field in which the vector values at each point do not change with rotation, but the curl (a measure of rotation) is still non-zero. This means that the vector field has a swirling or rotational component, even though it does not change with rotation.

2. How do you determine if a vector field has non-zero curl?

To determine if a vector field has non-zero curl, you can use the curl operator. If the curl of the vector field is non-zero, then it has a rotational component. The curl operator is given by the cross product of the del operator (∇) and the vector field itself.

3. What are some real-world examples of non-rotating vector fields with non-zero curl?

One example of a non-rotating vector field with non-zero curl is the flow of a fluid or gas. The velocity of the fluid or gas at each point does not change with rotation, but the fluid or gas may have a swirling or rotational component. Another example is the magnetic field around a wire carrying an electric current.

4. What is the significance of studying non-rotating vector fields with non-zero curl?

Studying non-rotating vector fields with non-zero curl is important in many areas of science and engineering. It can help us understand the behavior of fluids, gases, and other physical phenomena. It is also used in applications such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and weather forecasting.

5. How can non-rotating vector fields with non-zero curl be visualized?

A non-rotating vector field with non-zero curl can be visualized using vector field plots or streamlines. Vector field plots show the direction and magnitude of the vectors at each point, while streamlines show the path of a particle moving through the vector field. Additionally, computer simulations can be used to visualize the behavior of non-rotating vector fields with non-zero curl.