Non-uniform beam weight distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a non-uniform beam resting on a pivot and being kept in equilibrium by an upward force. The question is how to find the beam's center of mass when its mass is not distributed uniformly. The conversation also asks about the position of the beam and the angle formed by the normal contact force. However, it is later mentioned that assuming the beam is horizontal is sufficient for finding the center of mass.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A non-uniform beam PQ of length 5.0 m and weight X rests on a pivot placed 3.0 m from end P. It is kept in equilibrium in a horizontal position by an upward force of magnitude 0.60X acting at end P.
The normal contact force at the pivot is 800 N.
What is the weight of the beam and how far is the center of gravity of the beam from the pivot?
Relevant Equations
W=mg
Ftot=0
Mtot=0
Since the "non-uniform" hypothesis I got confused about how to solve this problem... in which way could I find its center of mass, if its mass is not distributed uniformly?
Another question I have with regards to this static situation is: is the beam placed horizontally? If not, how could I know the angle formed by the normal contact force with the beam exerted by the pivot?

Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
Homework Statement:: A non-uniform beam PQ of length 5.0 m and weight X rests on a pivot placed 3.0 m from end P. It is kept in equilibrium in a horizontal position by an upward force of magnitude 0.60X acting at end P.
The normal contact force at the pivot is 800 N.
What is the weight of the beam and how far is the center of gravity of the beam from the pivot?
Relevant Equations:: W=mg
Ftot=0
Mtot=0

Since the "non-uniform" hypothesis I got confused about how to solve this problem... in which way could I find its center of mass, if its mass is not distributed uniformly?
Another question I have with regards to this static situation is: is the beam placed horizontally? If not, how could I know the angle formed by the normal contact force with the beam exerted by the pivot?
Assume the beam is horizontal. You are only looking for the location of its center of mass, so you don't need to know the mass distribution.

Likes greg_rack
Chestermiller said:
Assume the beam is horizontal. You are only looking for the location of its center of mass, so you don't need to know the mass distribution.
I'm actually feeling quite dumb right now, I've solved it 😅

1. What is non-uniform beam weight distribution?

Non-uniform beam weight distribution refers to the uneven distribution of weight along the length of a beam. This can be caused by various factors such as varying material densities, uneven loading, or structural design.

2. What are the effects of non-uniform beam weight distribution?

The effects of non-uniform beam weight distribution can include increased stress and strain on certain areas of the beam, leading to potential failure or deformation. It can also affect the overall stability and strength of the structure.

3. How is non-uniform beam weight distribution calculated?

Non-uniform beam weight distribution can be calculated by determining the weight of each section of the beam and its distance from the reference point, then using the moment equation (M = Wd) to find the total moment. This moment can then be divided by the length of the beam to determine the average weight distribution.

4. How can non-uniform beam weight distribution be corrected?

To correct non-uniform beam weight distribution, the weight distribution must be equalized by redistributing the weight or adjusting the design of the beam. This can involve adding support or reinforcement to areas with higher weight, or adjusting the dimensions of the beam to better distribute the weight.

5. What are some common causes of non-uniform beam weight distribution?

Some common causes of non-uniform beam weight distribution include uneven loading, differences in material density, and structural design flaws. Other factors such as temperature changes or external forces can also contribute to non-uniform weight distribution.