Normal Force and Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

In summary: The horizontal range is the distance horizontally from the launch point to the height of the ball.time in air = vt2/2Height = vt2 + hrange = (h-vt)/2In summary, the cannonball reaches a maximum height of 8.2 m, spends 4.9 s in the air, and has a horizontal range of 9.81 m.
gcombina
A 250-N force is directed horizontally as shown to push a 29-kg box up an inclined plane at a constant speed. Determine the magnitude of the normal force, FN, and the coefficient of kinetic friction, µk.
So, I know I have to find the vertical and parallel forces
Vertical: Fn and 250 sin of angle (where is the angle symbol?)

so, if you look at the second picture, that is where I get stucked. Is "mg" also part of the parallel force?

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 638
  • Quiz4 q15.png
    Quiz4 q15.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 774
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your normal force vector from the push force is upside down.
Split the weight of the block ( m * g ) into its parallel and normal vectors

Thank you but I don't understand, what do you mean is upside down?

Its easier if i sketch something up, ill get back to you.

gcombina said:
Thank you but I don't understand, what do you mean is upside down?
The normal component of the pushing force is towards the plane. It's pushing the block against the incline, not trying to lift it from it.
Your arrow shows otherwise.

heres that sketch, the upper shows the force resolution for the 250 N pushing force ( F1 )
F2 = F1 * cosine 27 °
F3 = F1 * sine 27 °
The lower shows the force resolution for the force of the block ( m * g ) F4
F5 = F4 * sine 27 °
F6 = F4 * cosine 27 °
F7 is the friction force and = ( F6 + F3 ) * µ
( µ = friction co-efficient )

Note : if the velocity is constant, forces up the slope = forces down the slope

Attachments

• p057.jpg
    p057.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 686
thanks, let me study this. I just came back to the thread

sorry but this confuses me more

Which bit is confusing?

The 250N force acts towards the slope. The component that contributes to the normal force is F3
Gravity acts towards the slope. The component that contributes to the normal force is F6

The sum of (F3+F6) also act towards the slope.

You appear to be trying to make the trig show the sum pointing away from the slope? Perhaps you are confused because the normal force FN is usually shown as the equal and opposite reaction that ground makes on the block?

gcombina said:
http://Newton.physics.uiowa.edu/~rmerlino/11Sum13/11Smr13_E2_Practice.pdf

I am following this and it looks different.

Looking at the x-forces, can you tell me why this person does

mg sin 27 - Fcos angle + Fk? I don't understand the signs by looking at his graphic
Because the first and third terms both act down the plane (positive x), while the second term acts up the plane.

What Haruspex said.

With reference to Deans drawings and taking down the slope as positive..

mg sin 27 - Fcos angle + Fk = 0

translates as

F5 - F2 + F7 = 0

or you could instead take up the slope as positive, in which case that would be

-F5 + F3 - F7 = 0

Why don't you work a fresh problem through first, (to get the feel) try this one :
A cannonball is launched at an angle of 40 ° above horizontal on level ground at a velocity of 500 m/s, calculate the maximum height reached, the time spent in the air and the horizontal range.
g = 9.81 (m/s)/s
Firstly split the launch velocity into its vertical and horizontal components.

What is normal force?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and is equal in magnitude to the force applied by the object on the surface.

What factors affect the normal force?

The normal force is affected by the weight of the object, the angle at which it is placed on the surface, and any other forces acting on the object, such as friction or tension.

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in motion. It is determined by the materials and surface characteristics of the objects in contact.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force. It is also dependent on the type of surface and the relative speed between the two surfaces.

Why is understanding normal force and coefficient of kinetic friction important in science?

Understanding these concepts is important in predicting and analyzing the motion of objects on different surfaces. It allows scientists to study the effects of friction and make accurate calculations for real-world applications, such as designing vehicles and machinery.