Normal force at the top of a hill

In summary, the normal force acting on a car at the top of a hill can be calculated using the equation Fn = Fg - Fc, where Fg is the force of gravity and Fc is the centripetal force. The reason for this is because objects with mass resist traveling in circles and the normal force must be strong enough to counteract this resistance. The normal force will adjust accordingly to prevent the car from sinking into the ground.
Tin Man
I'm bypassing the normal questions, only because I have already solved the question, but want help figuring out why the answer is what it is (without incorporating numbers into it at all).

The idea is that a car is at the top of a hill going a constant speed. We are to treat the hill as having a radius, allowing us to use the centripetal force to find out the normal force.

My diagram I drew out shows a normal force acting upward on the car, and both the gravity of the car and the centripetal force of the car acting downward toward the radius of the hill (since the car is at the very top).

I looked around and was able to figure out the following equation based off a similar question asked on Yahoo...

Fn: Normal force, Fg: Gravity, Fr: centripetal force

Fn = Fg - Fr

What I can't figure out is WHY this is the case. I know it's the correct equation because it led me to the correct answer, but I was under the impression that if the normal force was a reaction of the road to the force of the car, then the normal force would be a sum of the gravity and the centripetal force, not a difference. Why are we not adding the two downward forces, and saying that the normal force is the negative of the two downward forces?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a great question. The answer involves centrifugal force. Yes, it's not a true force, but you could use it to understand this problem. The inertia of the car is the centrifugal force. When it travels in a circle, such as implemented at the top of the hill, the car resists the acceleration, as all objects with mass do, caused by changing direction. Think about swinging a weight at the end of a string in circles. If the speed is sufficient, the string will be drawn taught. This outward pull you would feel comes from the weight's resistance to centripetal acceleration. Objects with mass don't want to travel in circles, but straight lines. This is the same concept with the car. It wants to fly off tangent to the hill's circle, but gravity and friction are keeping it on the ground. I hope this explanation helps.

What's confusing me is that both forces are supposed to be pointed downward toward the middle of the hill. So we're treating centripetal force as going back out to the car? I know that intuitively the car will want to (if it's going fast enough) lift off the hill, therefore reducing the weight. I'm just having a hard time justifying that in my head with the calculations, since I know that the centripetal force is ALWAYS going toward the middle of the circle, that gravity is ALWAYS pointing to the ground, and that the normal force is ALWAYS perpendicular to the ground.

Tin Man said:
My diagram I drew out shows a normal force acting upward on the car, and both the gravity of the car and the centripetal force of the car acting downward toward the radius of the hill (since the car is at the very top).
Only two forces act on the car: Gravity and the normal force. "Centripetal force" is just the label we give to the net force in the radial direction; it should not appear on a free body diagram.

So ΣF = Fc = Fg - Fn

The gravitational force is fixed, of course, but the normal force is not. The normal force will be whatever it needs to be to prevent the car from sinking into the ground. You can think of gravity as providing the centripetal force and more--that extra force needs to be balanced by the normal reaction force of the ground. The "extra force" equals Fg - Fc. The faster the car is going, the less "extra force" there is.

Related to Normal force at the top of a hill

What is the normal force at the top of a hill?

The normal force at the top of a hill is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is perpendicular to the surface. In the case of a hill, it is the force that prevents an object from falling through the hill due to gravity.

How is the normal force at the top of a hill calculated?

The normal force at the top of a hill can be calculated using the equation FN = mgcosθ, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the hill.

What affects the normal force at the top of a hill?

The normal force at the top of a hill is affected by the mass of the object and the angle of the hill. A steeper hill or a heavier object will result in a greater normal force.

Is the normal force at the top of a hill always equal to the weight of the object?

No, the normal force at the top of a hill is not always equal to the weight of the object. It is equal to the weight only when the hill is flat or when the object is at rest on a flat portion of the hill. In other cases, the normal force may be less than or greater than the weight of the object.

How does the normal force at the top of a hill affect the motion of an object?

The normal force at the top of a hill acts to counteract the force of gravity on the object. This allows the object to maintain its position or move along the surface of the hill without falling through. If the normal force is greater than the force of gravity, the object will accelerate upwards. If the normal force is less than the force of gravity, the object will accelerate downwards.