Normal Force on Car at Top of Rounded Hill

• Thread starter y90x
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hill
In summary, the conversation discusses a 1000kg sports car moving at 20m/s crossing the round top of a hill with a radius of 100m. The task is to determine the normal force on the car using Newton's second law and the equation F=ma. The attempt at solving the problem involved finding the centripetal acceleration and using that to calculate the normal force, but the answer obtained (5800N) does not match the given answer (6206N). Further clarification is needed to understand where the mistake was made.
y90x

Homework Statement

a 1000kg sports car moving at 20m/s crosses the round top of a hill (radius of 100 m) . Determine the normal force on the car

Homework Equations

Newton’s second law
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out the centripetal acceleration
Ac= v^2/r
= 4 m/s^2
My attempt at finding the normal force :
Fn= mv^2/r + mg
= 1,000•20^2 / 100 + 1,000•9.8
=5800N
But the answer is 6206 N
Where did I go wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
y90x said:
Fn= mv^2/r + mg
Presumably you are basing that on ΣF=ma. In that regard, what is ΣF and what is a? Pay attention to signs.
But maybe that was just a typo, since you have applied the correct sign to get this:
y90x said:
=5800N
I cannot explain 6206N.

y90x said:
Where did I go wrong ?

I honestly cannot make out what you have done wrong. Actually, I remember doing this exact question when I was studying. It was confusing, but you seem to have gotten it. 6206 N seems wrong. Forget about the numerical value, why would your physics textbook or class use 4 sig-figs for a problem with only 1 sig-fig.

Either you haven't given all the information (which I doubt) or, and I really don't want to jump to conclusions, the answer is wrong. Please ask you teacher or tutor and let us know what the answer or issue was.

P.S. Are you studying from CTY? All your posts seem to be questions from there. Just guessing, could be wrong.

1. What is a rounded top hill?

A rounded top hill is a type of hill or mountain with a rounded or domed shape at its summit. It typically has a gentle slope and is characterized by a smooth, curved peak.

2. How are rounded top hills formed?

Rounded top hills are formed through the process of erosion. Over time, water, wind, and other natural forces gradually wear down the sides and top of the hill, creating a smooth, rounded shape.

3. Where can you find rounded top hills?

Rounded top hills can be found in many different regions around the world, including mountain ranges, coastal areas, and even in flat landscapes. Some famous examples include the Blue Ridge Mountains in the United States and the rolling hills of Tuscany in Italy.

4. What are the benefits of rounded top hills?

Rounded top hills have various benefits, both for the environment and for human use. They can help prevent erosion and provide habitats for plants and animals. They are also popular for recreational activities such as hiking and photography.

5. Can rounded top hills change over time?

Yes, rounded top hills can change over time due to natural processes such as erosion and weathering. They can also be affected by human activities, such as development and land use changes.