Normal mode of an infinite spring pendulum system

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving dispersion relations and considering forces on a block system. The dispersion relations are derived in terms of the angular frequency, and the equation of motion for block 0 is used to find a suitable mode for the system. The derived dispersion relations are then used in conjunction with the equation of motion to solve for the desired mode. The final solution involves some algebraic simplification using trigonometric identities.
Miles123K
Homework Statement
The problem description is as follows. I am expected to find the frequency of the standing wave apparently.
Relevant Equations
F = ma

First I worked out the dispersion relations, which is pretty easy:
##M \ddot x_j = K x_{j-1} + K x_{j+1} - 2K x_j -mg \frac {x_j} {l} ## (All t-derivatives)
We know ##x_j## will be in the form ##Ae^{ijka}e^{-i\omega t}##
so the above becomes:
## -\omega^2M = K (e^{-ika}+e^{ika}-2)-\frac {g} {l}##
Use trig identities to simplify and we get:
## \omega^2 = \frac {4K} {M} sin^2(\frac {ka} {2}) + \frac {g} {l}##
Now I think I am supposed to consider the forces on Block 0, so:
##F_{left} + F_{right} = F_0 = M \ddot x_0##
## K x_{j-1} + K x_{j+1} - 2K x_j = M \ddot x_0 = -M \omega^2 x_0## I think this is the subsystem mentioned in the hint?
In the question, it mentioned considering a normal mode of the form:
##A(x) = A_0 e^{-k \left| x \right |}##
So, I just plugged that into the above equation and got something like:
##2Ke^{-ka} = 2K - m \omega^2##
##e^{-ka} = 1 - \frac {m \omega^2} {2K}##
Log the above:
##ka = - ln(1-\frac {m \omega^2} {2K})##
However, I am unsure whether this is the correct solution. Do I just plug this ##ka## into the dispersion relations we got earlier?
Could someone check my answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Miles123K said:
First I worked out the dispersion relations, which is pretty easy:
##M \ddot x_j = K x_{j-1} + K x_{j+1} - 2K x_j -mg \frac {x_j} {l} ## (All t-derivatives)
We know ##x_j## will be in the form ##Ae^{ijka}e^{-i\omega t}##

The factor ##e^{ijka}## implies that the amplitudes of the blocks vary sinusoidally in space. But in this problem, you are looking for a mode for which the amplitudes exponentially decay as you move away from the origin. Replace ##e^{ijka}## by an appropriate expression and rederive the dispersion relation. Use the dispersion relation in conjunction with the equation of motion of block 0.

Likes Miles123K
TSny said:
The factor ##e^{ijka}## implies that the amplitudes of the blocks vary sinusoidally in space. But in this problem, you are looking for a mode for which the amplitudes exponentially decay as you move away from the origin. Replace ##e^{ijka}## by an appropriate expression and rederive the dispersion relation. Use the dispersion relation in conjunction with the equation of motion of block 0.
Oh okay, the new dispersion relations I obtained are as follows:
##\omega^2=\frac {K} {m} (2 - e^{ka} - e^{-ka}) + \frac {g} {l}##
which simplifies to:
##\omega^2=\frac {2K} {m} (1 - cosh(ka)) + \frac {g} {l}##
If I plug in the ##ka## I got above I get the answer?

Miles123K said:
Oh okay, the new dispersion relations I obtained are as follows:
##\omega^2=\frac {K} {m} (2 - e^{ka} - e^{-ka}) + \frac {g} {l}##
which simplifies to:
##\omega^2=\frac {2K} {m} (1 - cosh(ka)) + \frac {g} {l}##
That looks good.
If I plug in the ##ka## I got above I get the answer?
That should work. Off hand, I don't see a way to avoid some messy algebra. You could simplify the writing a bit by defining ##\omega_s = \sqrt{\frac{2K}{M}}## and ##\omega_p = \sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}##.

Likes Miles123K

1. What is the normal mode of an infinite spring pendulum system?

The normal mode of an infinite spring pendulum system refers to the most common or natural oscillation pattern of the system. It is a stable motion that occurs when the spring pendulum is at equilibrium, with the spring stretched to its natural length and the pendulum hanging straight down.

2. How is the normal mode of an infinite spring pendulum system calculated?

The normal mode of an infinite spring pendulum system can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period of oscillation, m is the mass of the pendulum, and k is the spring constant. This equation takes into account the restoring force of the spring and the gravitational force acting on the pendulum.

3. What factors can affect the normal mode of an infinite spring pendulum system?

The normal mode of an infinite spring pendulum system can be affected by the mass of the pendulum, the spring constant, and the length of the spring. Changes in these factors can alter the period of oscillation and the amplitude of the pendulum's motion.

4. Why is the normal mode of an infinite spring pendulum system important?

The normal mode of an infinite spring pendulum system is important because it represents the natural behavior of the system and is used as a reference point for comparing any deviations or disturbances in the system. It also helps in understanding the dynamics and stability of the system.

5. Can the normal mode of an infinite spring pendulum system be different from the natural frequency?

Yes, the normal mode of an infinite spring pendulum system can be different from the natural frequency. The natural frequency is the frequency at which the system vibrates when there are no external forces acting on it, while the normal mode is the most common oscillation pattern of the system. In some cases, the natural frequency and the normal mode may be the same, but in others, they may differ.