Is the 2s Hydrogen Atom Wavefunction Normalized?

In summary: The probability of finding the electron at r=4a is greater than or equal to the probability of finding the electron at r=0.
Reshma
For this given wavefunction of a hydrogen atom in 2s state, verify if the function is normalized:
[tex]\psi_{200} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{32\pi a^3}}\left(2 - \frac{r}{a}\right)e^{\frac{-r}{2a}}[/tex]

My work:
I have to verify:
[tex]\int_{all space} \psi_{200}^2 dV = 1[/tex]
[tex]dV = 4\pi r^2dr[/tex]

So,
[tex]\int_{all space} \psi_{200}^2 dV [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{8a^3}\int^{\infty}_{0} \left(2 - \frac{r}{a}\right) ^2 e^{\frac{-r}{2a}} r^2dr[/tex]

This integral looks like a monster to evaluate . Someone help me out here!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not that bad. Just integrate by parts. If you want a shortcut, look up the gamma function.

Thanks, Gamma function reduced my work a lot. I used:
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{-\lambda x} x^n = \frac{1}{\lambda^{n + 1}} \Gamma (n + 1)[/tex]

I was able to get the value of the integral as 1.
Now, for the second part of the problem. I have to find the value of 'r' at which the probablity P of finding the electron is maximum.
[tex]P = 4\pi r^2 \psi^2[/tex]

[tex]P = \frac{r^2}{8a^3} \left(2 - \frac{r}{a}\right)^2 e^{\frac{-r}{a}}[/tex]

I am supposed to get [itex]r = 4a[/itex] by solving [itex]\frac{dP}{dr} = 0[/itex]

This is the expression I got for dP/dr:
[tex]\frac{8r^3}{a^2} - \frac{16r^2}{a} + 8r - \frac{r^4}{a^3} = 0[/tex]

I am unable to solve this equation to get the value of "r". Someone please look into this and let me know where I am wrong.

Try plotting your function is as a function of [tex] r/a [/tex] and you will clearly see that [tex] P(r) [/tex] is not maximized at [tex] r/a = 4 [/tex]. I think somebody has made a mistake here, but the wavefunction you gave is correct for the 2s state. The supposed answer must be wrong. It possible to obtain a quadratic equation for the maximum if you use some information about the wavefunction to find one of the factors.

Physics Monkey said:
Try plotting your function is as a function of [tex] r/a [/tex] and you will clearly see that [tex] P(r) [/tex] is not maximized at [tex] r/a = 4 [/tex]. I think somebody has made a mistake here, but the wavefunction you gave is correct for the 2s state.
Exactly.In fact, if you forget to multiply by [tex] r^2 [/tex](a very common and easy to commit error), you get the incorrect answer [tex] r/a = 4 [/tex].
Also, in
[tex]P = \frac{r^2}{8a^3} \left(2 - \frac{r}{a}\right)^2 e^{\frac{-r}{a}} [/tex]
take the r^2 inside and then differentiate. You will get a quadratic after cancelling the common terms.

Thanks Physics Monkey and Siddharth.
I did take the r2 term inside and differentiated it, but I don't get a quadratic term. I have posted the equation I got in post #3. Anyway, I'll post again:
[tex]\frac{8r^3}{a^2} - \frac{16r^2}{a} + 8r - \frac{r^4}{a^3} = 0[/tex]
Is it possible to solve this equation or am I going wrong somewhere?

One solution is r=0. Obviously non physical. Then you'd get a cubic equation which you can treat using Cardano's formulae.

Daniel.

As dextercioby already noted, there is a common factor of [tex] r [/tex] that you can obviously factor out. A simple way to make progress on the cubic is to note the following: the probability density passes through zero at [tex] r = 2a [/tex], but it is also always greater than or equal to zero. What does this tell you about one of the roots of your equation?

Wait a minute. You essentially have to differentiate
[tex] (2r - \frac{r^2}{a})^{2} e^{\frac{-r}{a}} [/tex]
From that, won't you get
[tex] 2(2r-\frac{r^2}{a}) (2-\frac{2r}{a}) e^{\frac{-r}{a}} + (\frac{-1}{a})(2r - \frac{r^2}{a})^2 e^{\frac{-r}{a}} =0 [/tex]And simplifying that,
[tex] r^2 -6ar + 4a^2 = 0 [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics Monkey said:
As dextercioby already noted, there is a common factor of [tex] r [/tex] that you can obviously factor out. A simple way to make progress on the cubic is to note the following: the probability density passes through zero at [tex] r = 2a [/tex], but it is also always greater than or equal to zero. What does this tell you about one of the roots of your equation?

Yes, I can factor out the common 'r'.
[tex]\frac{8r^2}{a^2} - \frac{16r}{a} - \frac{r^3}{a^3} +8 = 0[/tex]

Probability density is greater than or equal to zero. Does this mean the roots are real?

The probability density is always greater than or equal to zero. Therefore, when the density equals zero that point will be a ... ?

Physics Monkey said:
The probability density is always greater than or equal to zero. Therefore, when the density equals zero that point will be a ... ?
The point will be a minimum, right?

I need to clarify certain doubts or else this thread will become FUBAR.
Just as for particle in the box, there are some positions where the probability is zero. The radial probability distribution functions P(r) indicate the relative probability of finding the electron within a thin spherical shell of radius 'r'.
So if the P(r) = 0, the point is a minimum so at what value of 'r' is P(r) maximum?
How does this compare to 4a, the distance between the electron and the nucleus in the n=2 state of Bohr model?

Your equation is basically :
[tex]x^3 - 8x^2 + 16x -8 = 0[/tex]

Clearly, if there's a nice integer root, it would have to be an even integer. Inspection gives you a root immediately. That reduces the equation to a quadratic.

Related to Is the 2s Hydrogen Atom Wavefunction Normalized?

What is normalization of wavefunction?

Normalization of wavefunction is a mathematical process used in quantum mechanics to ensure that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible states adds up to 1.

Why is normalization of wavefunction important?

Normalization of wavefunction is important because it ensures that the wavefunction represents a physically meaningful probability distribution. Without normalization, the wavefunction would not accurately describe the behavior of a quantum system.

How is normalization of wavefunction achieved?

Normalization of wavefunction is achieved by finding a normalization constant, or a scaling factor, that when multiplied by the wavefunction, results in a total probability of 1. This involves solving a mathematical equation known as the normalization integral.

What happens if a wavefunction is not normalized?

If a wavefunction is not normalized, it means that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible states is not equal to 1. This can lead to incorrect predictions about the behavior of a quantum system.

Does normalization of wavefunction always result in a physically meaningful wavefunction?

No, normalization of wavefunction does not always result in a physically meaningful wavefunction. In some cases, the normalization integral may not converge, indicating that the wavefunction is not physically valid.