Normalizing a Discrete Sum: Is the Wavefunction Fully Normalized?

In summary, the wavefunction would really be##\psi=A\left(\frac{\phi_1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{\phi_2}{\sqrt{2}}\right)##
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Say you have two energy eigenstates ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2##, corresponding to energies ##E_1## and ##E_2##. The particle has a 50% chance of having each energy. The wavefunction would thus be
##\psi=\frac{\phi_1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{\phi_2}{\sqrt{2}}##
Even though the coefficients are normalized (i.e. ##\sum_n c_n=1##), is the wavfefunction normalized? My thought would be no. If ##|\psi|^2=\frac{|\phi_1|^2}{2}+\frac{|\phi_2|^2}{2}## then it would be, but it seems like we would have an extra term. So, the wavefunction would really be
##\psi=A\left(\frac{\phi_1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{\phi_2}{\sqrt{2}}\right)##
Where A is a constant satisfying normalization. But, even with the A out front, the probability of the particle having the energy ##E_1## would still be ##\left|\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right|^2## and the same thing for ##E_2##. Is this all correct?

If this is all true, would it be common practice to leave the wavefunction in that form so you can distinguish the coefficients representing the probability amplitude of a particle having a certain energy (in this case both were ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##) from the coefficient normalizing the wavefunction (in this case denoted by A)?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Isaac0427 said:
it seems like we would have an extra term.
Write out ##\int{\psi^* \psi\, dx}## in terms of ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2##. What do the extra terms look like, and what do they evaluate to?

(Hint: look in your textbook or other source for the word "orthogonal" in connection with energy eigenstates.)

Likes Isaac0427
jtbell said:
Write out ##\int{\psi^* \psi\, dx}## in terms of ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2##. What do the extra terms look like, and what do they evaluate to?

(Hint: look in your textbook or other source for the word "orthogonal" in connection with energy eigenstates.)
Thank you!

I can't believe I missed that.

Although, that does lead me to another question, but I will ask that one tomorrow.

Likes bhobba

Related to Normalizing a Discrete Sum: Is the Wavefunction Fully Normalized?

What is normalizing a discrete sum?

Normalizing a discrete sum is a mathematical process used to scale a set of discrete values so that they add up to a specific value, typically 1. This allows for easier comparison and analysis of the values.

Why is normalizing a discrete sum important?

Normalizing a discrete sum is important because it allows for a fair comparison between different sets of data. It also makes it easier to identify patterns and trends within the data.

How do you normalize a discrete sum?

To normalize a discrete sum, you divide each value in the set by the sum of all the values, and then multiply by the desired sum. For example, if you have a set of values that add up to 10 and you want to normalize them to add up to 1, you would divide each value by 10 and then multiply by 1.

Can you normalize a discrete sum to any value?

Yes, you can normalize a discrete sum to any desired value. However, it is common to normalize to 1 as it allows for easy comparison and analysis of the data.

What are some applications of normalizing a discrete sum?

Normalizing a discrete sum is commonly used in data analysis and statistics to compare sets of data with different scales. It is also used in machine learning and data mining algorithms to improve the accuracy of predictions and classifications.