Norton Internet Security question

In summary, the remote system is attempting to access a service on your computer, and you are not sure what the message is reporting. The default action is to permit the access, but you may want to look into installing another firewall or changing your browser.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've been getting a whole bunch of these alerts, and I'm not sure what they're actually reporting:

A remote system is attempting to access Microsoft Generic Host Process for Win32 Services on your computer

Norton is telling me it's low risk, and the default (recommended) action is to permit it. I'm wondering what this is actually reporting, and whether it's safe to check the "always do this" box to let it go.

Every time one of these pops up it dumps me out of whatever program I'm currently running, and sometimes it messes the program up and it needs to be rebooted, so I do need to find some sort of solution.

Any insight, Internet Security Gurus?

Computer science news on Phys.org
From microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Q: "My Norton Internet Security has been giving me alerts
several times per day that "a remote system is attempting
to access Microsoft Generic Host Process for Win32
Services on (my) computer""

A: "Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services
that run from dynamic-link libraries, known as DLLs.
This is used for a lot of programs and if you look in your
task manager and see the processes you will notive a few
svchost.exe running. You should allow this although it
could be a virus using it to connect to your computer,
but as long as you have anit-virus software i wouldn'yt
worry."

So basically don't worry about it.

Thx, dduardo

i have same problem as enigma and trust me dduardo i can't simply "not worry about it"
My internet traffic stops completely and the pop-up in Norton Internet Security 2003 continues to pop-up..concerning the svchost.exe process

Quote:
A remote system is attempting to access Microsoft Generic Host Process for Win32 Services on your computer

No e-mail, no browsing, no nothing...whether I permit or block doesn't make a difference...only way is to right click on NIS icon in taskbar and click disable...then internet traffic resumes...any ideas

I get the same messages. When I check the location of the sites that are attempting to contact my computer, they always end up being in China. This concerns me. Why would some site/server/whatever in China be trying to access my PC? For what end?

1. What is Norton Internet Security?

Norton Internet Security is a software program designed to protect your computer from viruses, malware, and other online threats. It includes features such as antivirus, firewall, and anti-spyware protection.

2. How does Norton Internet Security protect my computer?

Norton Internet Security uses a combination of real-time scanning, advanced detection techniques, and a constantly updated database of known threats to protect your computer from malicious software and online threats.

3. Can I customize the settings in Norton Internet Security?

Yes, Norton Internet Security allows you to customize the settings for features such as antivirus, firewall, and parental controls. You can also adjust the level of protection and set up scheduled scans.

4. Is Norton Internet Security compatible with other antivirus software?

No, it is not recommended to use Norton Internet Security with any other antivirus software as it may cause conflicts and decrease the effectiveness of both programs.

5. How often should I update Norton Internet Security?

It is recommended to set Norton Internet Security to automatically update its virus definitions and software on a daily basis. This will ensure that you have the latest protection against new and emerging threats.