Not necessarily homework help but I do not understand Field lines

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the charges of objects and the number of field lines in the context of an AP physics exam on field lines. The equation E=(k*q)/r^2 is mentioned as a key equation, and the importance of drawing field lines in 3 dimensions is emphasized for understanding the inverse square law. It is also noted that the electric field strength is proportional to the quantity of lines per unit volume. The conversation concludes with a request for more clarification about the specific confusion and an example question.
Boop de Boop
Homework Statement
This is not for homework but I have an AP physics exam on field lines and am confused about the proportionality between the charges of objects and the number of field lines.
Relevant Equations
E=(k*q)/r^2
Homework Statement: This is not for homework but I have an AP physics exam on field lines and am confused about the proportionality between the charges of objects and the number of field lines.
Homework Equations: E=(k*q)/r^2

I am struggling with the number of field lines to put based on the charges but understand the general rules surrounding field lines.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Field lines for a point charge in 3 dimensions really need to be drawn in 3 dimensions rather than in 2 dimensions. You can't properly illustrate the inverse square law with a 2 dimensional drawing. ## \\ ## If you draw them in 3 dimensions, you get a very accurate drawing of the electric field strength if you make the number of lines emanating from each point charge to be proportional to the magnitude of the charge. The "rays"="electric field lines" point away from a positive charge, and toward the charge for a negative charge. The electric field strength is proportional to the quantity of lines per unit volume (e.g. number crossing an area =adding them as vectors, and subtracting lines going in the opposite direction, etc.).

Last edited:
Boop de Boop said:
I am struggling with the number of field lines to put based on the charges but understand the general rules surrounding field lines.
Can you be more specific about what is confusing you? How about an example question?

Related to Not necessarily homework help but I do not understand Field lines

What are field lines and how do they work?

Field lines are imaginary lines that represent the direction and strength of an electric or magnetic field. They originate from a positive charge and terminate on a negative charge. The closer the lines are to each other, the stronger the field is at that point.

How are field lines related to electric and magnetic fields?

The presence of electric and magnetic fields causes the formation of field lines. The direction of the field lines indicates the direction of the field at any given point. Electric field lines represent the direction of the force that a positive charge would experience, while magnetic field lines represent the direction of the force that a moving charge would experience.

Do field lines have any physical significance?

Field lines are a visual representation of electric and magnetic fields and do not have any physical significance. They are a helpful tool for understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, but they do not have any physical properties or effects.

Why do field lines not cross each other?

Field lines do not cross each other because at the point of intersection, there would be two different directions for the electric or magnetic field. This is not possible, so the field lines must remain separate and not cross.

How can field lines be used in practical applications?

Field lines have several practical applications, including in the design of electronic circuits and in medical imaging techniques. They are also used in physics experiments to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. Additionally, field lines can be used in navigation systems, such as compasses, to indicate the direction and strength of magnetic fields.