Not sure where this final Hamiltonian came from

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem and solution provided online by the author. They question where the components for the Hamiltonian were obtained and discuss the use of finding eigenvectors. Ultimately, it is concluded that the components were implicit in the original statement about ##H## and finding the eigenvectors was unnecessary for finding ##H##.
SamRoss
Gold Member
Homework Statement
In PDF
Relevant Equations
In PDF
Here's the problem and the solution provided online by the author (the problem numbers are different but it's the same question). I think I'm okay up until the last step where he declares the Hamiltonian is (1 1 1 -1). Where did he get those components?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    70.9 KB · Views: 161
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't that implicit in the original statement about ##H##?

SamRoss said:
Where did he get those components?
The matrix element ##H_{12}##, for example, equals ##\langle 1|\hat H | 2 \rangle##. See what you get when you evaluate ##\langle 1|\hat H | 2 \rangle## using the given expression for ##\hat H##.

Likes PhDeezNutz
TSny said:
The matrix element ##H_{12}##, for example, equals ##\langle 1|\hat H | 2 \rangle##. See what you get when you evaluate ##\langle 1|\hat H | 2 \rangle## using the given expression for ##\hat H##.

Oh okay, it wasn't that bad after all.

PeroK said:
Isn't that implicit in the original statement about ##H##?

I suppose it was. Finding the eigenvectors was apparently unnecessary for finding H.

Thanks everyone!

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. Where did the final Hamiltonian in my experiment come from?

The final Hamiltonian in your experiment is the result of multiple steps and calculations based on the initial conditions and parameters of your experiment. It is derived from the laws of physics and the specific equations that govern your system.

2. How do I know if the final Hamiltonian is accurate?

The accuracy of the final Hamiltonian can be determined by comparing it to experimental data and results. If the predictions made by the Hamiltonian match the observed outcomes, it can be considered accurate. Additionally, the Hamiltonian should also be consistent with known physical laws and principles.

3. Can the final Hamiltonian be modified or improved?

Yes, the final Hamiltonian can be modified or improved based on new data or advancements in the understanding of the system. This can be done through refinement of experimental techniques or by incorporating new theoretical models.

4. What role does the final Hamiltonian play in my experiment?

The final Hamiltonian is a crucial component in understanding and predicting the behavior of a physical system. It serves as the mathematical representation of the system's energy and dynamics, and is used to make predictions and guide experimental design.

5. How does the final Hamiltonian relate to other Hamiltonians in my experiment?

The final Hamiltonian is typically the end result of a series of Hamiltonians used to describe different aspects of the system. These Hamiltonians may be simplified or combined to create the final Hamiltonian, which represents the complete picture of the system's dynamics.