Nothing, something and the Universe

• B
  • Thread starter kolo12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, there is no clear definition of "nothing" in physics and thus it is not possible to say if something can come from absolute nothing. The idea of a universe emerging from a previous vacuum state is just a theory and is not yet proven. Additionally, the concept of "nothing" is too vague to accurately answer this question.
kolo12
Hello!
It is my first question on this site!
So I have some problems:
1. Is it possible to get something from absolute nothing?
2. I saw theory about universe from "nothing" but was it really absolute nothing? Is that possible? I know about quantum fluctuations and virtual particles but it is "nothing"? Or there is another theory with universe from absolute nothing?
3. What is physics definition of "nothing"?

Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
1. No - energy cannot be created or destroyed.
2.Since the answer to 1 is no, the answer to number 2 is no.
3.It's relative to something, i.e. the absense of something. So it would have to be the absense of space and time, the absense of existence itself.

As far as we know, we live in a universe of causality. Something causes something else. That brings us to the issue what caused the universe? Well it'd have to be from a universe which is not based on causality?

Consider that there is no guarantee that tommorow physics as we know it could not all change completey. What stops it from doing so? Existence is based on consistent laws, it's just how our universe and existence works. Beyond that we simply do not know.

But as far as we DO know- energy is conversed.

Voltageisntreal said:
But as far as we DO know- energy is conversed.
This isn't correct at all. Energy isn't conserved in General Relativity.

This is a good blog post that describes it well, I think:
http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2010/02/22/energy-is-not-conserved/

kolo12 said:
Hello!
So I have some problems:
2. I saw theory about universe from "nothing" but was it really absolute nothing? Is that possible? I know about quantum fluctuations and virtual particles but it is "nothing"? Or there is another theory with universe from absolute nothing?
In reverse order:
3. There is no physical definition of nothing. Nothing is a colloquial term, and there's just no good way to define it precisely. Sometimes theoretical physicists use the term, but it usually ends up being just sloppy and misleading.
2. I think what people are usually referring to in this instance is a universe stemming from a previous vacuum state. This is certainly plausible, given the right conditions: a quantum vacuum doesn't have to be a static system. There can be fluctuations, and it may be possible for some tiny fraction of those fluctuations to create a new universe (by starting inflation). The new universe would be isolated from the parent universe: it would look like a microscopic black hole that suddenly appeared then evaporated just as quickly. But from the inside, it could be just as big and diverse as our own universe. At present, however, this is little more than an idea. We don't have a solid enough grasp of how quantum mechanics interacts with gravity to say whether or not this kind of thing is possible.
1. It's not clear. If you don't have a solid definition of nothing, how can you describe how nothing can transition into something? My suspicion is that this way of looking at things probably just doesn't make sense because true nothing also wouldn't have either space or time, which would mean that there's no way of describing it as changing (things can't change without time).

Likes BenAS, Voltageisntreal, Drakkith and 1 other person
kolo12 said:
Hello!
So I have some problems:
No, that would be creationism, which is a philosophical topic and not something science can be used to explain.
No, something can't come from nothing, see above.
I'm not a physicist, but logic would say nothing is the absence of something.

kimbyd said:
1. It's not clear. If you don't have a solid definition of nothing, how can you describe how nothing can transition into something? My suspicion is that this way of looking at things probably just doesn't make sense because true nothing also wouldn't have either space or time, which would mean that there's no way of describing it as changing (things can't change without time).
Agreed. I would define 'something' as a thing (having physical (what), location (where), and time (when) properties) in relation to some other thing; 'nothing' would be void of these properties and is null.

kolo12 said:
Is it possible to get something from absolute nothing?

These terms are too vague for the question to have a meaningful answer.

kolo12 said:
I saw theory about universe from "nothing"

"I saw theory" is not a valid reference. In future, please give a specific reference. And it should be to a valid source, which almost always means a textbook or peer-reviewed paper; pop science articles (one of which I strongly suspect to be where you read this "theory") are not acceptable.

kolo12 said:
What is physics definition of "nothing"?

There isn't one; "nothing" is not a physics term. At best it's a pop science term, used in articles which are more concerned with attracting readers than in giving accurate explanations.

This thread is based on questions which are too vague to have meaningful answers. Accordingly, the thread is closed.

1. What is "nothing" in the context of the universe?

"Nothing" in the context of the universe refers to the absence of matter, energy, space, and time. It is often described as a state of non-existence or emptiness.

2. How did something come from nothing in the universe?

The concept of something coming from nothing in the universe is a philosophical and scientific debate. Some theories suggest that the universe has always existed in some form, while others propose the idea of a singularity or a big bang as the origin of the universe.

3. What is the significance of "something" in the universe?

"Something" in the universe refers to all the matter and energy that exists. It is the building block of everything we see and experience in the universe, including stars, planets, and living beings. Without "something," the universe as we know it would not exist.

4. How does the concept of nothing and something relate to the universe's expansion?

The concept of nothing and something is closely linked to the universe's expansion. According to the Big Bang theory, the universe began as an infinitely small, dense point called a singularity. As the singularity expanded, it created space, time, and all the matter and energy that make up the universe.

5. Can something come from nothing in the universe?

This is a highly debated question in science and philosophy. Some theories propose that the laws of quantum mechanics allow for the creation of particles from empty space. However, the concept of true nothingness, where there is no space or time, remains a mystery and is currently beyond our understanding.