Creating something from 'nothing' in our Universe

• I
  • Thread starter spacecadet11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: There is no proof or theory that shows whether there are other spatial dimensions. That is a question for physics to answer.Hello. I have heard a question that asks..how can the Universe be created from nothing? Would not the answer to that question be understanding what that nothing is?In summary, the 'nothing' at the start of our Universe is most likely the 'vacuum' that exists in our present day Universe. Understanding this..all the way back to the start would seem to be an answer to the question..or does anyone disagree?There is no proof or theory that shows whether there are other spatial dimensions. That is a question for physics to answer.
spacecadet11
Hello. I have heard a question that asks..how can the Universe be created from nothing? Would not the answer to that question be understanding what that nothing is?

Humans have an idealized notion of what nothing is..which can be far from the 'nothing' that existed at the beginning of the Universe.

The 'nothing' at the start in our Universe is most likely the 'vacuum' that exists in our present day Universe.

And according to what I have read because of something called the 'casimir' effect there are 'virtual' particles that pop in and out of existence in the vacuum. Understanding this..all the way back to the start would seem to be an answer to the question..or does anyone disagree?

Also, is there proof or any kind of theory I can read up on that shows whether there are other spatial dimensions? Where is physics when it comes to answering this question?

Bye
SC

Space news on Phys.org
spacecadet11 said:
The 'nothing' at the start in our Universe is most likely the 'vacuum' that exists in our present day Universe.
Hi spacecadet:

The Standard Model for our universe tells us it started in a state of extreme high temperature and density, nothing at all like the (near) vacuum of today's outer space. Also, the casimir effect is not related to this initial state.

Some (perhaps all?) string theories (I, admittedly not knowing much about them, prefer to think of them as speculations) assume additional space dimensions that are so small they can by their nature they can never be detected.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes spacecadet11
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi spacecadet:

The Standard Model for our universe tells us it started in a state of extreme high temperature and density, nothing at all like the (near) vacuum of today's outer space. Also, the casimir effect is not related to this initial state.

Some (perhaps all?) string theories (I, admittedly not knowing much about them, prefer to think of them as speculations) assume additional space dimensions that are so small they can by their nature they can never be detected.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Buzz

Hello..thanks for your answer. I am being a lit
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi spacecadet:

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Buzz

Hello..thanks for the reply. How do you un Italize this forum text? If I have the time I might pursue this line of questioning.
I am thinking at the very start of the Universe. This extreme temp & density exists after the Universe's birth. Or I could be wrong

Last edited:
spacecadet11 said:
How do you un Italize this forum text?
Hi spacecadet:

Above the "Have something to add?" window, there is a formatting bar. To italicize some text, first use your cursor (holding down left button) to highlight the text; then click on the "I" button. The unitalicize, do the same again.

BTW: To edit something after you have posted it, click on "Edit" in the lower left part of the post area. Th "Edit button remains available for an hour or two after you post or last edit.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
spacecadet11 said:

Did the "nothing" at the start of the universe even have dimensions? Time?

@spacecadet11 please do a little reading first and then come back with a more focused question and post it in the cosmology section.

1. How is it possible to create something from 'nothing' in our Universe?

There are several theories and explanations for the concept of creating something from 'nothing' in our Universe. One theory is the idea of quantum fluctuations, where particles can spontaneously appear and disappear in empty space. Another explanation is the concept of inflation, where a rapid expansion of the Universe in its early stages can result in the creation of matter and energy. However, the true origin of the Universe and the concept of creating something from 'nothing' is still a mystery and subject to ongoing research and debate.

2. Can humans create something from 'nothing' using technology?

Currently, there is no technology or scientific evidence that suggests humans can create something from 'nothing'. The closest we can get is by manipulating existing matter and energy to create new things. However, advancements in science and technology may eventually lead to new discoveries and possibilities in this area.

3. How does the concept of creating something from 'nothing' relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is one of the leading explanations for the origin of the Universe, where all matter and energy were compressed into a singularity before rapidly expanding. The concept of creating something from 'nothing' is often tied to the Big Bang theory because it suggests that the entire Universe was created from nothing at the moment of the Big Bang. However, the specifics of how this occurred are still not fully understood.

4. Is creating something from 'nothing' a violation of the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. Creating something from 'nothing' may seem to violate this law, but it is important to note that the laws of thermodynamics apply to closed systems. The Universe, as a whole, is an open system, and the energy and matter within it can be converted and transferred, potentially resulting in the creation of new things.

5. Is the concept of creating something from 'nothing' purely theoretical or is there evidence to support it?

The concept of creating something from 'nothing' is largely theoretical and is still a subject of ongoing scientific research and debate. While there are some observations and experiments that support the idea of particles spontaneously appearing and disappearing in empty space, there is no conclusive evidence yet for the creation of something from absolute nothingness. However, advancements in technology and our understanding of the Universe may eventually provide more insights into this concept.