Novels About Physics: Find Your Next Read!

In summary, novels about physics offer a unique blend of science and storytelling that can captivate readers of all backgrounds. These books cover a wide range of topics, from quantum mechanics and relativity to the ethical dilemmas of scientific discovery. Whether you're looking for a thrilling page-turner or a thought-provoking exploration of the universe, there is a physics novel out there waiting for you to discover. Some popular titles include "The Martian" by Andy Weir, "The Three-Body Problem" by Liu Cixin, and "Einstein's Dreams" by Alan Lightman. So if you're ready to dive into the world of physics through the lens of fiction, consider picking up one of these engaging and enlightening novels.
rania yassin
well i really like reading novels so i was wondering if there's any novels about physics that are good ? :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Particularly classic hard science fiction. I still enjoy Robert. L. Forward.

Likes rania yassin
And of course 'Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman'.

Likes rania yassin
"Timescape" by Gregory Benford

Likes rania yassin
:D

Likes rania yassin
Ringworld byLarry Niven generated a lot of Physics discussion that got incorporated into his later Ringworld sequels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld

ringworld800x600.jpg

Last edited:
Likes rania yassin
#3 and #4 are not novels.

I liked, enjoyed may be not quite the word, "Night thoughts of a classical physicist".

There are quite a number of novels, plays etc. about the Manhattan project. Not totally and not meant to be totally fiction. There is "The Man who would be God", a personal swipe. I've read 2 or 3 times "Principles of American Nuclear Chemistry".

Top class literature is Primo Levi's "The Periodic System" - it's chemistry so broaden your horizons! o0)

Regarding which, the phrase "he's one of those physicists who thinks Science is a branch of physics" occurs, I think, in the novel "Mine own exceutioner" by Nigel Balchin. More famous by the same author is "The small back room", both made into films, perhaps a bit distant is location and time from what you are looking for, and are supposedly middlebrow novels that actually are not that comfortable.

"The Quest" by CP Snow I remember as much better than any others of his, a quite convincing situationing in the research process as well as in the scientific society of his time and place; the narrator seems close to the author and his most vivid character is a very thin disguise of a scientist all informed readers would identify without hesitation. It is scientific-political while his others are more so, much concerned with the "corridors of power" in government and academia, somewhat sychophantically. Again some of it relates to the Manhattan project and its follow-on.

The two italicised phrases from the book titles have also entered common language.

I thought that Swiss guy who dramatised Bohr and Heisenberg etc. then and elsewhere has done the world no great favour, but it's up for discussion.

Last edited:
Likes rania yassin
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes rania yassin

1. What are some popular novels about physics?

Some popular novels about physics include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "The Martian" by Andy Weir, and "Contact" by Carl Sagan.

2. Are there any novels about physics that are easy to understand for non-scientists?

Yes, there are several novels about physics that are written in a way that is easy for non-scientists to understand. Some examples include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and "The Physics of Superheroes" by James Kakalios.

3. Can you recommend any novels about physics for young adult readers?

Yes, some popular novels about physics for young adult readers include "Einstein's Dreams" by Alan Lightman, "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind" by William Kamkwamba, and "The Accelerati Trilogy" by Neal Shusterman and Eric Elfman.

4. Are there any novels about physics that focus on a specific topic or concept?

Yes, there are many novels about physics that focus on a specific topic or concept, such as time travel, quantum mechanics, or the nature of reality. Some examples include "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger, "The Quantum Thief" by Hannu Rajaniemi, and "Flatland" by Edwin Abbott Abbott.

5. Are there any novels about physics that have been adapted into movies or TV shows?

Yes, there are several novels about physics that have been adapted into movies or TV shows. Some examples include "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle, "Contact" by Carl Sagan, and "The Man Who Knew Infinity" by Robert Kanigel.