Nuclear Shell Model - pp bound states?

In summary, the conversation discusses filling shells in the nuclear shell model and the possibility of proton-proton bound states. It is explained that the diproton is unbound and filling the proton shell alone would result in an unstable state. The conversation also mentions the importance of experimental evidence in determining the validity of theories.
sk1105
I have looked around for help with this, including on existing threads, but I can't quite find what I'm looking for.

I know that in the nuclear shell model we fill the shells in the same way as with electrons, so 2 protons in the first and 6 in the second etc, with the same being true for neutrons. I take this to mean that the 1s shell, for example, can contain 2 protons and 2 neutrons. Do I have the right idea? If so, does this not contradict with the fact that proton-proton bound states are not observed in nature? Theoretically could we not have Helium-2, with pp in the 1s shell?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "theoretically". No theory that attempted to explain nature would predict this, because it is known from experiment that the diproton is unbound. Indeed, since the dineutron is unbound, and since the diproton adds the repulsive electrostatic force on top of that, it's guaranteed to be unbound.

If you try to fill the proton shell only, you'll get a total energy above the energy of two free protons - the state is extremely unstable.

Sorry, I was unscientific with my words. I was hypothesising based on my incorrect understanding of the model. But both answers were helpful, thanks! :)

What is the nuclear shell model?

The nuclear shell model is a theoretical model used to describe the structure of atomic nuclei. It is based on the concept of energy levels and sublevels, similar to the electron shell model in atoms.

What are pp bound states in the nuclear shell model?

PP bound states, also known as proton-proton bound states, are nuclear states in which two protons are bound together due to the strong nuclear force. These states form when the protons occupy specific energy levels in the nuclear shell model.

How does the nuclear shell model explain pp bound states?

The nuclear shell model explains pp bound states by treating the protons as individual particles that occupy different energy levels and sublevels within the nucleus. When the protons are in specific energy levels, they are more likely to interact and form a bound state due to the strong nuclear force between them.

What is the significance of pp bound states in nuclear physics?

PP bound states are important in nuclear physics as they provide insight into the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei. They also play a crucial role in nuclear reactions and nuclear fusion processes, which are important for energy production.

How does the nuclear shell model differ from other models of atomic nuclei?

The nuclear shell model differs from other models in that it takes into account the individual energy levels and sublevels of protons and neutrons within the nucleus. Other models, such as the liquid drop model, treat the nucleus as a continuous entity without considering the discrete energy levels.