Number of interference fringes visible in the central diffraction peak

In summary, the number of interference fringes visible in the central diffraction peak is 5 if the ratio of slit separation to slit width is 3.125.
Cade

Homework Statement

How many interference fringes are visible in the central diffraction peak if the ratio of slit separation to slit width is 3.125?

Homework Equations

d*sin(θ) = m*λ for interference maxima with slit separation d, maxima are at m = 0, 1, 2, 3 ...

a*sin(θ) = m*λ for diffraction minima with slit width a, minima are at m = 1, 2, 3 ...

The Attempt at a Solution

md = m for diffraction minima
ma = m for interference maxima
ma/md = 3.125

d*sin(θ) = md*λ
a*sin(θ) = ma*λ
-> d/a = (md/ma)*λ

When md = 1, ma = 3.125, so the central diffraction peak contains the 3rd order interference maxima. This means that there are 3 interference maxima on the right of the central interference fringe, and 3 on the left, giving a total of 7.

My instructor gave a formula to calculate the number of interference fringes visible in the central diffraction peak: 2(d/a) - 1
Using this, I get 2(3.125) - 1 = 5.25, or after rounding, 5 peaks. What am I missing?

Also, this formula allows for an even number of interference fringes in the central peak (consider d/a = 2.5, 2(2.5 - 1) = 4), is that possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone have any insight into this problem? I still haven't figured it out. Also, is it possible to have an even number of interference fringes in a central diffraction peak?

I think it is safe to assume that angles are small and therefore it is safe to assume
that Sin∅ = ∅
For the interference maxima the angular separation is therefore λ/d
The width of the central diffraction max is λ/a
Can you take it from there?
Also I think this gives the n=3 interference max at the min of the diffraction pattern so the interference max will not be observed. Therefor 2 each side of the central max (n=0 max)

I have that, I would just like to verify if my working and answer is correct. :smile:

And, if I could find out if it is possible for there to be an even number of interference fringes in a central diffraction peak.

Look at these patterns.http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/157199/enlarge
The width of the slits is 25 μm, and their separation is 75 μm in the upper pattern and 58 nm in the bottom one.
If the last interference maximum coincides with a diffraction minimum, you can not see it. That is seen in the upper picture when d/a=3: 5 maxima are seen. In your case, the 3rd maximum is inside the first diffraction maximum, so it is visible, although faint. You will see 7 maxima. In the bottom pattern, d/a =2.3. The second maxima are inside the main diffraction maximum, so you see 5 maxima again.
The number of maxima is integer. You need to take the integer part of d/a. The number of maxima is 2 int(d/a)+1, if d/a is not integer. In case it is an integer, the last interference maximum coincides with the diffraction maximum, and the number of maxima is 2int(d/a)-1.

There is no such thing that 2and a half maxima. If d/a=2.5, 2 maxima are seen on both sides (as int 2.5=2) and one in the middle, so 5 altogether.

ehild

Great, thank you for clarifying. That was very helpful.

The pleasure was mine:smile:

ehild

Related to Number of interference fringes visible in the central diffraction peak

1. What is the central diffraction peak?

The central diffraction peak refers to the bright spot in the center of a diffraction pattern that is produced when a wave of light or other electromagnetic radiation passes through a narrow slit or aperture.

2. How are interference fringes formed in the central diffraction peak?

Interference fringes in the central diffraction peak are formed when the diffracted waves from the edges of the slit overlap and interfere with each other, resulting in areas of constructive and destructive interference.

3. What factors affect the number of interference fringes visible in the central diffraction peak?

The number of interference fringes visible in the central diffraction peak is affected by the wavelength of the incident light, the width of the slit, and the distance between the slit and the viewing screen.

4. How can the number of interference fringes in the central diffraction peak be increased?

The number of interference fringes in the central diffraction peak can be increased by using a narrower slit, a shorter wavelength of light, or by increasing the distance between the slit and the viewing screen.

5. Are there any limitations to the number of interference fringes visible in the central diffraction peak?

Yes, there are limitations to the number of interference fringes visible in the central diffraction peak. As the number of fringes increases, the intensity of the fringes decreases, making them harder to see. Additionally, the diffraction pattern may become distorted if the slit is too narrow or the distance between the slit and the viewing screen is too large.