Number of points in mesh (Comsol 4.3b)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Comsol for a simulation involving a sphere in 3D. The person is looking for help in determining how many points Comsol is evaluating the equation at. It is suggested to check the maximum and minimum size of the tetrahedrals and to view the number of elements and degrees of freedom in order to understand the speed of the simulation. It is also clarified that Comsol does not solve at individual points, but rather uses mesh elements as base functions.
VIEX12
Hello everybody. I'm new with Comsol and I'm working with the 4.3b version. I'm trying a simulation of a sphere (in 3D, of course) and I want to figure out in how many points is Comsol evaluating the ecuation. I know I set the maximum and minimum size of the tetrahedrals (I'm using tetrahedrals in this case), but I don't know how many points is Comsol considerating for solving the problem. I'd be glad if anyone could help me. Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I quite understand the question.
Are you asking how to find out how many mesh elements Comsol is using?
I am pretty sure that is reported by the solver.

A FEM solver does not solve at really solve at "points" as such, it uses the mesh elements as base functions.

You can see the number of elements by going mesh>statistics. You can also see the number of DOF in the messages tab when the simulation is running. The number of DOF tells you more about the speed of the simulation than the number of elements.

Thank you very much! I thought it solved it point by point, but I was wrong. Thank you both f95toli & bp_psy for your answers!

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I am happy to help you with your Comsol simulation. In order to determine the number of points being used in your mesh, you can access this information by selecting the "Mesh" tab in the Comsol interface. Under the "Mesh" tab, you will see a section called "Mesh Statistics" which will display the number of elements, nodes, and degrees of freedom being used in your simulation. This will give you an idea of how many points are being used to solve your problem.

Additionally, you can also change the mesh settings and see how it affects the number of points being used. For example, if you increase the maximum size of the tetrahedrals, you will likely see an increase in the number of points being used.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Good luck with your simulation!

Best,

1. How do I calculate the number of points in a mesh in Comsol 4.3b?

To calculate the number of points in a mesh in Comsol 4.3b, you can use the "Mesh Statistics" feature. This can be found in the "Mesh" menu under the "Utilities" tab. Once selected, a pop-up window will appear displaying the number of points in the mesh.

2. Can I change the number of points in a mesh in Comsol 4.3b?

Yes, you can change the number of points in a mesh in Comsol 4.3b by adjusting the meshing settings. Under the "Mesh" menu, you can select "Mesh Parameters" and then adjust the "Maximum Element Size" or "Maximum Face Size" to increase or decrease the number of points in the mesh.

3. What is the recommended number of points in a mesh for accurate simulations in Comsol 4.3b?

The recommended number of points in a mesh for accurate simulations in Comsol 4.3b can vary depending on the complexity of the geometry and the physics being simulated. It is generally recommended to have at least 5-10 points per smallest feature size in the geometry to ensure accuracy. However, it is always best to perform a mesh convergence study to determine the optimal number of points for your specific simulation.

4. How can I improve the quality of the mesh in Comsol 4.3b?

To improve the quality of the mesh in Comsol 4.3b, you can use the "Mesh Quality" feature. This can be found in the "Mesh" menu under the "Utilities" tab. Once selected, a pop-up window will appear displaying the mesh quality parameters. You can adjust these parameters to improve the quality of the mesh, such as reducing the number of distorted elements or improving the aspect ratio.

5. Can I view the mesh in Comsol 4.3b?

Yes, you can view the mesh in Comsol 4.3b by selecting the "Mesh" tab in the Model Builder window. This will display the mesh in the Graphics window. You can also use the "Mesh Display" feature to adjust the visualization of the mesh, such as changing the color scale or hiding/showing specific elements.