Trying to import an already meshed surface to Comsol for FE analysis

In summary, Comsol does not support meshed surfaces for FEA analysis and requires surfaces to be converted to NURBS before importing. This can be done through third-party software or using Comsol's own Mesh import function. If unable to convert or import, other FEA software such as ANSYS, Abaqus, or LS-DYNA may be used.
.ragnor.
Hello

I'm starting using Comsol, and I have some problems that I want to ask.
I have some tessellated surfaces (triangles), and I'm trying to do some FEA analysis.

As far as I know, Comsol only supports NURBS surfaces (as .step or .igs), but not meshes.
I think that for FE analysis I will need to mesh my surfaces.
As I already have a meshed surface, is there any way to load this kind of surfaces without converting to NURBS and meshing again?

Some of the formats that I'm using are .surf, .obj, .stl (but Comsol is having problems with this), 3D .dxf.

If not, do you know any other way or software to do some finite element analysis starting from tessellated surfaces?

Any help with be appreciated.

Thank you for your attention.
Kind regards.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out about your concerns with using Comsol for FEA analysis on tessellated surfaces. I understand that it can be frustrating to encounter limitations with software when working on a project.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned, Comsol does not support meshed surfaces and only accepts NURBS surfaces. This means that you will need to convert your tessellated surfaces to NURBS before being able to perform FEA analysis in Comsol. However, there are a few ways you can do this without having to manually convert each surface.

One option is to use a third-party software that specializes in converting meshed surfaces to NURBS. Some examples include Mesh2Surface and Reverse Engineering. These programs can handle a variety of file formats, including .surf, .obj, .stl, and 3D .dxf, and can convert them to NURBS surfaces that can then be imported into Comsol for FEA analysis.

Another option is to use Comsol's own Mesh import function, which allows you to import meshed surfaces in .stl and .obj formats. However, this may not work for all types of meshes and may require some additional processing to ensure the mesh is suitable for FEA analysis.

If you are unable to convert your tessellated surfaces to NURBS or have difficulty importing them into Comsol, there are other FEA software programs that can handle meshed surfaces. Some popular options include ANSYS, Abaqus, and LS-DYNA. These programs have their own strengths and limitations, so it's important to research and choose the one that best fits your needs and capabilities.

I hope this helps and that you are able to find a solution that works for you. Best of luck with your project!

Kind regards,

1. What is the best file format to use for importing a meshed surface to Comsol?

The best file format for importing a meshed surface to Comsol is the STL (Standard Tessellation Language) format. This format is commonly used for 3D printing and is supported by Comsol for importing surface meshes.

2. Can I import a meshed surface from any CAD software into Comsol?

Yes, Comsol supports the import of meshed surfaces from many different CAD software, including SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and CATIA. However, it is important to check that the software you are using is compatible with Comsol before attempting to import the mesh.

3. How do I ensure that my meshed surface is compatible with Comsol?

In order for your meshed surface to be compatible with Comsol, it must be a closed and watertight surface. This means that there should be no gaps or holes in the surface. Additionally, the surface should be meshed with well-defined, uniform elements.

4. Can I make changes to my meshed surface in Comsol?

Yes, Comsol has built-in tools for editing and refining meshed surfaces. These tools can be used to make changes such as increasing the mesh density, smoothing the surface, and repairing any issues with the mesh.

5. How do I ensure that my imported meshed surface is accurate for FE analysis?

To ensure accuracy for FE analysis, it is important to carefully review the meshed surface before and after importing it into Comsol. This includes checking for any errors or inconsistencies in the mesh, as well as verifying that the mesh adequately represents the geometry of the object being analyzed. Additionally, performing a sensitivity analysis can help determine the impact of the mesh on the overall results of the FE analysis.