Number revolutions with constant angular decelleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of revolutions with constant angular deceleration. The key equation used is omega final = omega initial + (alpha)(time), where alpha represents the angular acceleration and time is the duration of the motion. By using this equation and the formula a = omega^2*r for centripetal acceleration, the calculation is done to determine that the wheel makes 65.01 revolutions while stopping.
Linus Pauling
# revolutions with constant angular decelleration

1. A well-lubricated bicycle wheel spins a long time before stopping. Suppose a wheel initially rotating at 120 rpm takes 65 s to stop.

If the angular acceleration is constant, how many revolutions does the wheel make while stopping?

2. a = omega^2*r

3. I already know the solution is theta = 65 revolutions. What is the calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org

ok so:

120rpm = 12.57rad/s << obtained by dimensional analysis 'cause you know 1 rev = 2(pie)rads

12.57 rad/s is your initial omega

your final omega = 0 rad/s

using the kinematics equation : omega final = omega initial + alpha (delta time)
you get : 0 = 12.57 + (alpha)(65s)

-0.1934rad/s^2 = alpha << angular deceleration

so, using another kinematics equation, the one with the angular displacement:
final position = initial position + 12.57(65) + (0.5)(-0.1934)(65^2)
then you get 408.4925 rads
as a result, (use the dimensional analysis again) to get the revolutions! which is 65.01 revolutions.

i hope that helped. i might be a tad confusing :S

I understand the first part, and the reasoning used in the second, but I don't understand this part:

Linus Pauling said:
I understand the first part, and the reasoning used in the second, but I don't understand this part:

you know the kinematics formula : omega final = omega initial + (alpha)(time) ?

it's the same as
final angular velocity = initial angular velocity + (angular acceleration)(time)
since you have the final angular velocity and the initial, and the time, you can figure out the angular acceleration. :)

and ... why use : a = omega^2*r?
that formula is for the centripedal acceleration, and NOT the angular acceleration. centripedal is a linear acceleration! :)

What is "Number revolutions with constant angular decelleration"?

"Number revolutions with constant angular decelleration" is a scientific concept that refers to the change in the number of revolutions an object undergoes while decelerating at a constant angular velocity.

What is angular decelleration?

Angular decelleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity decreases over time. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

How is "Number revolutions with constant angular decelleration" calculated?

"Number revolutions with constant angular decelleration" can be calculated using the formula N = (ωf² - ωi²) / (2α), where N is the number of revolutions, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and α is the angular decelleration.

What are some examples of objects that undergo "Number revolutions with constant angular decelleration"?

A spinning top that gradually slows down, a rotating wheel on a car as it brakes, and a pendulum gradually coming to a stop are all examples of objects that undergo "Number revolutions with constant angular decelleration".

How is "Number revolutions with constant angular decelleration" different from "Number revolutions with constant angular acceleration"?

The main difference between these two concepts is the direction of change in angular velocity. In "Number revolutions with constant angular decelleration", the angular velocity is decreasing, whereas in "Number revolutions with constant angular acceleration", the angular velocity is increasing at a constant rate.