Numerical methods for solving convection-diffusion PDE

In summary: Another option would be to use a solver specifically designed for convection-diffusion problems, which would handle the boundary conditions automatically. In summary, the main questions are: (1) Can a shooting method be used to solve this type of PDE problem? And (2) How can a method be applied to a boundary value problem with an unspecified boundary condition at one end?
windowless
Hello all,

This is my first post...

I am trying to make a code to numerically solve a problem, which is a heat conduction problem (temperature) in a moving slab (in y-z plane) with a source term in it:

A(dT/dy)=(d2T/dy2 + d2T/dz2) + B

dT/dy=0 at y=0, T=given at y=0, boundary conditions along y at z=0 and W are described by some simple functions. Say the width of the slab is W and the length is L.

I think this is called "convection (or advection)-diffusion" problem.

Because the way boundary conditions are given, to me (I don't know much about numerical methods), it looks like a "shooting method" can handle this problem. Or maybe the Crank-Nicolson method can be used, while taking y in this problem like t in a conventional C-N problem. Well, it seems like I cannot numerically solve this problem using these methods. The solution blows up.

Maybe I should use a method to handle a typical elliptic equation problem. But in this problem, one side is open so that I cannot specify the boundary condition at one end of y=L (I can specify both T and dT/dy at y=0, instead).

So here I am. I am stuck. Does anybody can give me some advices? In summary, my questions are:

(1) can a shooting method (like Runge-Kutta or whatever) be used to solve this kind of PDE problems?

(2) if I have to apply a method for a boundary value problem, how can I do to this problem that does not have a specified boundary condition at one end?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cheers!</code>You can use a shooting method for this problem, but the boundary conditions at y=L will need to be handled differently. One way to do this is to introduce an artificial boundary condition at y=L which you can adjust to get the desired solution. You could also use a finite difference or finite element method to solve this problem. These methods would allow you to solve the PDE and the boundary conditions simultaneously without requiring an artificial boundary condition.

Numerical methods for solving convection-diffusion PDEs are widely used in many fields, including fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and chemical engineering. These methods involve discretizing the PDE into a system of algebraic equations, which can then be solved using various techniques such as finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods.

To address your specific problem, there are a few things to consider. First, the boundary conditions at y=0 can be handled by using a ghost point approach, where an additional point is added outside the domain to enforce the boundary condition. This is commonly used in numerical methods for PDEs with open boundaries.

Secondly, the shooting method can be used to solve this problem, but it may not be the most efficient approach. Other methods, such as the Crank-Nicolson method, may be more suitable for this type of problem. It's important to carefully choose the appropriate method based on the specific characteristics of the PDE.

In general, it's recommended to consult with a numerical methods expert or refer to textbooks and literature on the specific problem to determine the most appropriate method. Additionally, there are many software packages available that can handle convection-diffusion PDEs, so it may be worth exploring those options as well.

Related to Numerical methods for solving convection-diffusion PDE

1. What is a convection-diffusion PDE?

A convection-diffusion PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the combined effects of convection (movement of a substance due to a bulk flow) and diffusion (spreading of a substance due to random movement) on a physical system. It is commonly used to model heat and mass transfer in fluid flow problems.

2. Why are numerical methods used to solve convection-diffusion PDEs?

Numerical methods are used to solve convection-diffusion PDEs because they allow for the approximation of the solution to these complex equations. Analytical solutions are often not possible for these types of equations, so numerical methods provide a way to obtain an accurate solution.

3. What are some common numerical methods for solving convection-diffusion PDEs?

Some common numerical methods for solving convection-diffusion PDEs include finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem being solved.

4. How do numerical methods handle boundary conditions in convection-diffusion PDEs?

Numerical methods handle boundary conditions in convection-diffusion PDEs by discretizing the domain into smaller elements or grid points. These grid points are then used to approximate the solution at the boundaries, based on the chosen numerical method. The accuracy of the boundary conditions depends on the spacing of the grid points and the type of method used.

5. What are some challenges associated with using numerical methods for solving convection-diffusion PDEs?

Some challenges associated with using numerical methods for solving convection-diffusion PDEs include choosing an appropriate method for the specific problem, ensuring accuracy and stability of the solution, and dealing with complex geometries and boundary conditions. Additionally, the computational cost and time required to obtain a solution can be a challenge, especially for large-scale problems.