Nyquist plot, damping factor and phase margin

In summary, a Nyquist plot of a standard second-order system is shown. The peak percentage overshoot expected in the system output is determined to be 8.083%.
jegues

Homework Statement

A Nyquist (polar) plot of a standard second-order system is shown below (drawn to scale).
attachment.php?attachmentid=66371&stc=1&d=1391738703.jpg

Suppose a unit-step function is applied as the input to this system. Determine the peak percentage overshoot expected in the system output.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea was to trace backwards from the ω→+∞ at the origin until I reach a vector from the origin to a point on the curve with magnitude one. This ω will correspond to a gain cross over frequency and provide me with the phase margin.

I could then link this value of the phase margin back to zeta through the following equation,

[tex]\text{P.M.} = \gamma = tan^{-1}\left( \frac{2\zeta}{\sqrt{-2\zeta^{2}+\sqrt{1+4\zeta^{2}}}}\right)}[/tex]

The first point I could find that would give me a vector of magnitude one resides at (0.6, -0.8) yielding a phase margin of 126.87°. Unfortunately this PM yields a negative value for zeta.

Any idea where I went wrong or an easier way to solve the problem?

Attachments

• NyquistQ.JPG
    NyquistQ.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,174
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump, still looking for help!

It might help if you defined what your textbook calls a "standard" 2nd order system.

Looking carefully at the plot, it doesn't go exactly through (0.6, -0.8), but it does go exactly through (1, 0), (0, 0) and (0, -0.8), and the slope at (1,0) is vertical. Is that enough data to fix the transfer function, for your "standard" system?

AlephZero said:
It might help if you defined what your textbook calls a "standard" 2nd order system.

A standard 2nd order system would be in the form,

[tex]G(s) = \frac{\omega_{n}^{2}}{s^{2}+2\zeta \omega_{n} s + \omega_{n}^2}[/tex]

AlephZero said:
Looking carefully at the plot, it doesn't go exactly through (0.6, -0.8), but it does go exactly through (1, 0), (0, 0) and (0, -0.8), and the slope at (1,0) is vertical. Is that enough data to fix the transfer function, for your "standard" system?

The only information I can extract out of those three points is that,

[tex]G(j\omega_{n}) = \frac{1}{j2 \zeta} = -j0.8[/tex]

[tex]|G(j\omega_{n}| = \frac{1}{2 \zeta} = 0.8[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \zeta = 0.625[/tex]

So,

[tex]\text{OS%} = 100 e^{\frac{-\pi \zeta}{\sqrt{1 - \zeta^{2}}}} = 8.083 \text{%}[/tex]
attachment.php?attachmentid=66491&stc=1&d=1392080153.jpg

Does the slope at the point (1,0) somehow link back to ζ as well?

Attachments

• NyquistQ2.JPG
    NyquistQ2.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,966
Last edited:
The problem I have with this is that you speak of a standard 2nd order transfer function, which is well defined: F(s) = (1/(s2 + 2ζwns + wn2), which I assume is the closed-loop transfer function.

However, a Nyquist plot is that of the open loop, not the closed loop, and the open loop is not unique to the closed loop.

One candidate however is F(s) = G/(1+G) which is G/(1+GH) with H=1 (unity fedback).

The closed loop is also written as F(s) = 1/(s+s1)(s+s2) where s1 and s2 are complex-conjugate pole pairs:
s1 = a +jb
s2 = a -jb
where a and b are functions of ζ and wn.

Solve for G(a,b) from G/(1+G) = 1/(s+a+jb)(s+a-jb) with s = jw.

You can now generate a "template" Nyquist plot of G(jw) with unknown a and b. Then pick values for a and b so as to generate your given plot. This may not be as bad as it seems if you pick your w point judiciously. Knowing a and b you can find wn and ζ . Finally you have the entire closed loop transfer function and can input a step function and solve for the overshoot.

This seems a really horrible problem that way, there is probably a short-cut of some kind equating open-loop Nyquist plots with the corresponding closed-loop transfer functions, but I don't know it. I'll try to research this a bit further.

1. What is a Nyquist plot?

A Nyquist plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It shows the relationship between the input and output of a system at different frequencies.

2. How is damping factor related to a Nyquist plot?

Damping factor is a measure of the amount of attenuation in a system. In a Nyquist plot, the damping factor is represented by the distance between the origin and the point where the plot intersects the negative real axis.

3. What is the significance of phase margin in a Nyquist plot?

Phase margin is a measure of the stability of a system. It indicates the amount of phase lag that can be added to the system without causing instability. In a Nyquist plot, a larger phase margin indicates a more stable system.

4. How do Nyquist plots help in system analysis and design?

Nyquist plots provide important information about the frequency response and stability of a system. They can be used to analyze and design control systems, as well as identify potential issues such as instability or oscillations.

5. Can a Nyquist plot be used for systems with multiple inputs and outputs?

Yes, a Nyquist plot can be used for systems with multiple inputs and outputs. In this case, the plot will have multiple curves, each representing the frequency response of a different input-output pairing. This can help in analyzing the interactions between different inputs and outputs in a system.