Observer types to make the wavefunction collapse.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wave function collapse in quantum mechanics and whether it requires a human observer. The participants agree that the observer does not necessarily have to be human and that any system that interacts significantly with its environment can act as an observer. The idea of a closed system and an outside observer is also mentioned. Additionally, the concept of "weak measurement" is brought up as a way for humans to observe without collapsing the wave function. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the nature of wave-particle duality is still not fully understood.
Hellabyte
Hi there, I'm not extremely adept at understanding what I like to think of as the "Philosophical" side of QM but I find I have a problem with some aspects of an interpretation of the wave function collapse. I also could be misunderstanding what people are saying.
When people talk about particles being observed and the wave functions collapsing, It almost seems as if some people think that the observer must be a human. For example, Schrodingers cat: He is said to be half alive and half dead until observed, but doesn't the cat observe whether he is dead or not?
More fundamentally i would think that solely interactions between fundamental particles would be what we call observers. I just saw in another thread something along the lines of "Well what happens if the observer dies right after taking a measurement?" on whether or not the wave function can 'un-collapse' .Am i just crazy or do some people talk as if humans have to be the ones to collapse the wave function? I don't agree with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah that's what I would think definitely.I'm saying that it seems some rhetoric would suggest otherwise.

Wave function collapse is a highly debated area, and to my knowledge there is no clear cut answer. My question for a while has been why is only when we "observe it" does it collapse. Everything in the universe is one big system as everything interacts by gravity etc, and so there is never an outside observer. Therefore the electron in an orbital will always be coupled to the observer no matter if an "observation" is made or not.

David_Harkin said:
wave function collapse is a highly debated area, and to my knowledge there is no clear cut answer. My question for a while has been why is only when we "observe it" does it collapse. Everything in the universe is one big system as everything interacts by gravity etc, and so there is never an outside observer. Therefore the electron in an orbital will always be coupled to the observer no matter if an "observation" is made or not.

Wave function collapse only makes sense in the context of there being a closed system and an outside observer. When the system ceases to be closed (say, by opening a door or making a measurement) it's wave function collapses. Any system studied in isolation (this includes theoretical models) qualifies as 'closed'.

(This is not a philosophical matter; it's simply part of the whole idea of there being a wave function.)

If you read the above paragraph closely, you will find all the answers you need.

You can have detecting wire loops around the slits in youngs experiment, and it seems clear that human observation does not necesarily collapse the wave function.

"weak measurement" suggests that humans can observe and not collapse the wave function.

No one has the first clue about wave-particle duality, it's neither objective nor subjective.

Last edited:

Related to Observer types to make the wavefunction collapse.

What is the concept of observer types in relation to the collapse of the wavefunction?

The collapse of the wavefunction refers to the idea that the state of a quantum system is determined by the act of observation. Observer types refer to the different ways in which an observer can interact with a quantum system and cause the wavefunction to collapse.

What are the different types of observers that can cause the wavefunction to collapse?

There are three main types of observers that can cause the wavefunction to collapse: conscious observers, macroscopic observers, and measurement devices. Conscious observers refer to humans or animals who have the ability to make conscious observations. Macroscopic observers refer to objects with a large number of particles, such as a measuring device, that can interact with the quantum system. Measurement devices are specifically designed to measure and interact with quantum systems.

How does the observer type affect the collapse of the wavefunction?

The type of observer can affect the collapse of the wavefunction in terms of the speed and accuracy of the collapse. For example, a conscious observer may have a more gradual and less precise collapse compared to a measurement device which is designed for quick and accurate measurements.

Can the observer type be changed or controlled?

In theory, yes, the observer type can be changed or controlled. For example, a measurement device can be adjusted to have a different level of interaction with the quantum system, potentially affecting the collapse of the wavefunction. However, for conscious observers, it is not currently possible to control the level of interaction and therefore the type of collapse that occurs.

What are the implications of observer types on quantum mechanics and our understanding of reality?

The concept of observer types and the collapse of the wavefunction has sparked many debates and challenges in the field of quantum mechanics. It raises questions about the role of consciousness in determining reality and the existence of an objective reality independent of observation. Further research and understanding of observer types may lead to a deeper understanding of the nature of reality and the behavior of quantum systems.