Psi-Collapse in Nature: Definition and Implications

• Thread starter The thinker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nature
In summary, the difference between a measurement and a measurement like interaction is that a measurement involves macroscopically distinguishable eigenstates that are strongly interacting with their environment, while a measurement like interaction only causes decoherence and not actual collapse. Consciousness is involved in a measurement, but not in a measurement like interaction, as it is only able to collapse superpositions within the brain that cannot be isolated from their environment.
The thinker
Hello,

I'm studying decoherence at the moment, as a result I've also been looking a wavefunction collapse.

I was wondering what the definition of a full measurement is and whether they occur outside of the lab? - I've been looking at 'measurement like' interactions, which cause decoherence, but not actual collapse.

I suppose my question boils down to: what's the difference between a measurement and a measurement like interaction? ... at the moment it seems to me that simply consciousness is involved in one but not the other!

Thanks alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Many interactions will create correlations between two subsystems (e.g. a silver atom interacting with the field of a Stern-Gerlach magnet will develop correlations between position states and spin component states), but it's only a measurement when the states of one of the subsystems can be considered "macroscopically distinguishable". So what subsystems have macroscopically distinguishable eigenstates? The answer is "the ones that interact strongly with their environments". (See e.g the discussion about air molecules bouncing off a book in Schlosshauer's book).

Consciousness involves a brain that goes through a series of well-defined memory states, and those memory states are macroscopically distinguishable because those degrees of freedom of your brain can't be isolated from their environment. So if we count the light-sensitive cells of your retina as part of your brain, then your brain is collapsing some superpositions, i.e. the superpositions of states of the photons that they interact with. But those states aren't correlated with the measurement results (say the spin-z states of a silver atom), because the light you're observing is just light scattered by some part of your measuring device, which behaves classically because of its strong interactions with the environment. So your consciousness certainly can't collapse the superposition of spin component states that a silver atom is in when it enters your Stern-Gerlach apparatus. The device has already done that, by interacting with the environment so that information about its state has been carried off into the environment.

1. What is Psi-Collapse in Nature?

Psi-Collapse refers to the hypothetical phenomenon in which the collapse of the wave function in quantum mechanics is influenced by a conscious observer. It suggests that the act of observation by a conscious being can have an effect on the physical reality of the observed system.

2. How is Psi-Collapse related to the observer effect?

Psi-Collapse is closely related to the observer effect, which states that the act of observation can change the behavior of the observed particles in quantum mechanics. However, Psi-Collapse goes a step further by suggesting that the conscious mind of the observer plays a crucial role in this effect.

3. Can Psi-Collapse be observed in nature?

There is currently no conclusive evidence for the existence of Psi-Collapse in nature. While some experiments have shown results that are consistent with this phenomenon, they have not been replicated consistently enough to confirm its existence. More research is needed to fully understand the implications of Psi-Collapse.

4. What are the potential implications of Psi-Collapse?

If Psi-Collapse is proven to exist, it would challenge our current understanding of reality and the role of consciousness in shaping it. It could also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and communication.

5. How is Psi-Collapse being studied by scientists?

Scientists are conducting experiments and theoretical studies to better understand the potential existence and implications of Psi-Collapse. These include conducting quantum entanglement experiments and exploring the role of consciousness in quantum mechanics. However, more research is needed before any definitive conclusions can be drawn.