Observing wavelength at an angle

In summary: Yeah, it makes sense that if you're looking at the wave from a stationary perspective, then the maxima would all look the same distance away from each other. It's also helpful to think of yourself as moving against the wavefront at the angle, because that makes the phase difference between different points on the observation plane more clear.Thinking of the wave as stationary and myself moving against the wavefront at the anglereally helped! Thank you!
TheCanadian
I recently came across an equation stating that ## \lambda_{ob} = \frac{\lambda}{cos(\alpha)} ## if ##\alpha## is the angle the observer is relative to the wave's direction of propagation. I guess I can kind of understand that a person perpendicular (i.e. ##\alpha = 1##) would see the normal wavelength, but am just failing to understand what exactly it even means to observe the wavelength at an angle. How does standing perpendicular to the wavefront make it look like the wave has an infinite wavelength?

Physics news on Phys.org
It does not, but if you look at the phase difference between different points of your "observation plane", they all have the same phase. This equation tells you how far apart maxima (or specific phases) are on your observation plane. I don't think it is useful to call this "wavelength", however.

mfb said:
It does not, but if you look at the phase difference between different points of your "observation plane", they all have the same phase. This equation tells you how far apart maxima (or specific phases) are on your observation plane. I don't think it is useful to call this "wavelength", however.

Hmmm...do you mind expanding on that? How exactly does the maxima look infinitely far away from each other if you're simply looking at the wave perpendicular to its direction of propagation?

Also, isn't the distance separating maxima essentially what an observed wavelength is?

The distance along the observation plane is "infinite" (you see the same maximum everywhere at the same time). The distance along the travel direction (the real wavelength) does not change.

mfb said:
The distance along the observation plane is "infinite" (you see the same maximum everywhere at the same time). The distance along the travel direction (the real wavelength) does not change.

Thinking of the wave as stationary and myself moving against the wavefront at the angle ##\alpha## really helped! Thank you!

Related to Observing wavelength at an angle

What is the purpose of observing wavelength at an angle?

Observing wavelength at an angle allows scientists to determine the properties of a material, such as its index of refraction, polarization, and composition.

How is the angle of observation determined?

The angle of observation is determined by measuring the angle between the incident light and the surface of the material being observed.

What types of materials can be observed using this technique?

Materials that can be observed using this technique include transparent materials, such as glass and water, as well as opaque materials with a reflective surface, such as metals.

What is the relationship between the angle of observation and the wavelength of light?

The angle of observation affects the wavelength of light by changing the path of the light waves. This results in a change in the refractive index and the wavelength of light passing through the material.

What other factors can affect the observed wavelength at an angle?

The index of refraction, temperature, and pressure of the material can also affect the observed wavelength at an angle. Additionally, the angle of incidence and the polarization of the light can also play a role in the observed wavelength.