Octahedron in Cube: Proving the Possibility

• Thread starter BrianKim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube
In summary, an octahedron in a cube is a geometric shape where an octahedron is inscribed within a cube. This is possible because the vertices of the octahedron can touch the faces of the cube without overlapping or extending beyond its boundaries. Proving this possibility is significant as it showcases the relationship and complexity of geometric shapes. This can be proven through mathematical calculations and principles. There are various real-life applications of this concept, such as in architecture, design, 3D modeling, and the study of crystal structures and molecular geometry.
BrianKim
I heard somewhere that the Octahedron can't exist in the Cube exactly.

Is this true? Can't I prove that the octahedron in the cube?

Intuitively, they seems true. But I can't sure.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your question is not at all clear.

Octahedron_in_Cube.png
I meant this. I heard that this octahedron don't exist. But...

You are both drawing something and telling us it can't exist. Doesn't that bother you?

Related to Octahedron in Cube: Proving the Possibility

1. What is an octahedron in a cube?

An octahedron in a cube is a geometric shape where an octahedron (a polyhedron with eight triangular faces) is inscribed within a cube (a three-dimensional shape with six square faces).

2. How is it possible to have an octahedron in a cube?

It is possible to have an octahedron in a cube because the eight vertices (corners) of the octahedron can touch the six faces of the cube without overlapping or extending beyond the cube's boundaries.

3. What is the significance of proving the possibility of an octahedron in a cube?

Proving the possibility of an octahedron in a cube is significant because it demonstrates the relationship between two different geometric shapes and their ability to fit within each other. It also showcases the complexity and beauty of geometric shapes.

4. How can one prove the possibility of an octahedron in a cube?

The possibility of an octahedron in a cube can be proven through mathematical calculations and geometric principles. By showing that the octahedron's vertices can touch the cube's faces without overlapping or extending beyond the cube's boundaries, it can be proven that the octahedron can indeed exist within the cube.

5. Are there any real-life applications of an octahedron in a cube?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of an octahedron in a cube, such as in architecture and design. It can also be used in the creation of 3D models and puzzles. Additionally, this concept is used in the study of crystal structures and molecular geometry.