Constructing a cube with a Norm

• Thread starter RiotRick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube Norm
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the dual norm and its application in constructing two norms, one for a regular octahedron and one for a cube. The first norm is defined as the One-Norm and the second norm is defined through the use of the dual norm. However, there is confusion about how to construct the dual norm using the inner product with three entries.
RiotRick

Homework Statement

Let X = ##\mathbb{R^m}## and ||.|| be a Norm on X. The dual norm is defined as ##||y||_*:=sup({\langle\,x,y\rangle :||x|| \leq 1})##
a) Show that ##||.||_*## is also a norm
b) Construct two norms ##||.||^O## and ##||.||^C## so that:
{##x:||x||^O=1##} is a regular octahedron
and
{##x:||x||^C=1##} is cube<

I have a problem with b)

Homework Equations

Definition of Norm

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I've read that the One-Norm defines a Octahedron and the dual Norm a cube.
So {##x:||x||^O:=||x||_1 = |x|+|y|+|z| = 1##}
Now I have a problem to construct the dual norm since I don't fully understand dual norms.
But from the definition we get the cube ##||x||_*=sup(\langle\,x,y\rangle :||x||_1 \leq 1)##
But how do I do this since I have 3 entries and this inner product doesn't seem to fit?

Physics news on Phys.org
RiotRick said:
But how do I do this since I have 3 entries and this inner product doesn't seem to fit?

What do you mean here?

1. How do you construct a cube with a Norm?

To construct a cube with a Norm, you will need to start with a square base. Then, using the Norm, draw three lines perpendicular to each side of the square, connecting the corners of the square to create a 3D shape. This will form the base of the cube. Next, use the Norm to draw three more lines perpendicular to the base, connecting the corners of the base to create the remaining sides of the cube. Finally, connect the corresponding corners of the base and the top to complete the cube.

2. What is a Norm and how does it help in constructing a cube?

A Norm is a geometric tool that helps in constructing 3D shapes by providing a reference for perpendicular lines. It consists of three perpendicular arms that intersect at a common point, allowing for precise and accurate construction of cubes and other geometric shapes.

3. Can a cube be constructed without a Norm?

Yes, a cube can be constructed without a Norm. However, using a Norm makes the construction process much easier and more accurate. Without a Norm, it may be more difficult to ensure that all the lines are perfectly perpendicular, resulting in a less precise cube.

4. What are the advantages of constructing a cube with a Norm?

There are several advantages to constructing a cube with a Norm. Firstly, it allows for precise and accurate construction, ensuring that all the lines are perfectly perpendicular. This results in a more visually appealing and symmetrical cube. Additionally, using a Norm can save time and effort compared to constructing a cube without one.

5. Are there any other uses for a Norm besides constructing a cube?

Yes, a Norm can be used for constructing other 3D shapes besides a cube. It can also be used in engineering and architecture for precise measurements and construction of buildings and structures. Additionally, it can be used in art and design for creating geometric patterns and shapes.