Odd Well / Quantum Tunneling

In summary, we discussed an electron with a total energy of Eo = 4.4 eV trapped in a potential well. We found the ratio of the wavelength in Region III to the wavelength in Region I to be λ III / λI = 1.77. We also determined that the maximum width of Region I, where there are no other nodes, is .29 nm. Finally, we calculated the minimum energy of the electron such that it can never escape the well in Region I to be 3 eV. The concept of the particle being trapped in Region I was also discussed.
gv3

Homework Statement

odd-well.jpg

An electron with a total energy of Eo = 4.4 eV is in the potential well shown above.

1) Find the ratio of the wavelength in Region III to the wavelength in Region I.

λ III / λI = 1.772) Given that the wave function of the electron vanishes at the left boundary of Region I, what is the maximum width dof Region I such that there are no other nodes in Region I?

.29 nm

3)What is the minimum energy of an electron such that it can never escape the well in Region I?

? eV

Homework Equations

E=hf
T= e-2bL
b=√(2m(U-E)/ħ2)
R= (K1-K2)2/(K1+K2)2

The Attempt at a Solution

Originally i thought that i need to set the probability of the particle transmitting equal to zero. But e can never be zero. So then i tried setting the probability of the particle reflecting equal to 1 but that still didn't lead to anything. Am i missing an equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what it means for the particle to escape region I. Where would the particle be found then? What would be the energy of the particle after having escaped?

DrClaude said:
Think about what it means for the particle to escape region I. Where would the particle be found then? What would be the energy of the particle after having escaped?
It would escape if region 2. Its energy would be -.6 correct?

gv3 said:
It would escape if region 2. Its energy would be -.6 correct?
The lowest energy in the diagram is 0 eV. How can the energy be negative?

DrClaude said:
The lowest energy in the diagram is 0 eV. How can the energy be negative?
ah i was doing E-U. would it be .6 ev? I've tried that though and it was wrong. I was doing this thinking that the particle would be found in region 2. after rereading the chapter i read that we can never observe the particle in the forbidden region. so does this mean that the particle will be found in region 3?

gv3 said:
ah i was doing E-U. would it be .6 ev? I've tried that though and it was wrong. I was doing this thinking that the particle would be found in region 2. after rereading the chapter i read that we can never observe the particle in the forbidden region. so does this mean that the particle will be found in region 3?
i got the answer keeping the above in mind. it was 3 ev. I don't get conceptually though why the energy of the particle has to equal the potential in the third well in order for the particle to get stuck in the first well.

gv3 said:
i got the answer keeping the above in mind. it was 3 ev. I don't get conceptually though why the energy of the particle has to equal the potential in the third well in order for the particle to get stuck in the first well.
If you find the particle in region III, it has a minimum energy of 3 eV (plus eventual kinetic energy). Likewise, it you find it in region II, it has at least 5 eV. Therefore, if the particle has an energy < 3 eV, it can only be found in region I, hence it is trapped there.

Likes gv3
DrClaude said:
If you find the particle in region III, it has a minimum energy of 3 eV (plus eventual kinetic energy). Likewise, it you find it in region II, it has at least 5 eV. Therefore, if the particle has an energy < 3 eV, it can only be found in region I, hence it is trapped there.
So shouldn't the question be what the maximum energy would be for it to be trapped in the first well? Since it can't have more than 3 eV to be stuck in the first well.

The phrasing is a bit weird.

Likes gv3
DrClaude said:
The phrasing is a bit weird.
Thanks for helping! :D

1. What is odd well in quantum tunneling?

Odd well, also known as quantum well, refers to a potential energy well in a quantum system that is asymmetric. In other words, the depth and shape of the well are not symmetrical, resulting in an uneven distribution of energy levels within the well.

2. How does quantum tunneling occur in an odd well?

Quantum tunneling occurs in an odd well when a particle, such as an electron, has insufficient energy to overcome the potential barrier of the well. However, due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, there is still a small chance for the particle to "tunnel" through the barrier and escape the well.

3. What are the applications of odd well / quantum tunneling?

Odd well / quantum tunneling has various applications in modern technology, such as in quantum computing, scanning tunneling microscopy, and tunnel diodes. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

4. How is odd well / quantum tunneling related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. In an odd well, the particle's position and momentum are not well-defined due to the uneven distribution of energy levels. Therefore, odd well / quantum tunneling is closely related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

5. Can odd well / quantum tunneling violate the laws of classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, a particle with insufficient energy cannot pass through a potential barrier. However, in quantum mechanics, there is a finite probability of tunneling through the barrier, which may seem to violate the laws of classical mechanics. However, this phenomenon is a result of the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and does not necessarily contradict classical mechanics.