Offered research experience in Astro as a CC Student

In summary, the speaker has been in community college for a year and planned to finish in two years, but now has the opportunity to do research with a professor who has a background in EE and astronomy. Although the speaker's interests lie in theoretical and plasma physics, they are considering taking this research opportunity for the experience. The speaker is nervous because they have limited knowledge in physics and math, but the professor may have them do data analysis and technical work. The speaker is also uncertain about the research topic, but acknowledges the potential benefits of the experience.
TheKracken
So, I've been in community college for a year now and my original plan was to get out of here in 2 years as fast as I could. Tonight, I just met with a part time professor here and I have the opportunity to take part in some research with him and another student (or 2). This honestly sounds too good to be true. He has a BS in EE and a PHD in astronomy and I guess revolutionized computerized telescopes in the late 70's. Anyways, he mentioned that one of his students at the CC was able to publish and a few have co-authored.

Here is the thing, I am not completely interested in astronomy. Nor do I know much about it. I know I was fascinated by all of it as a child which brought me want to major in physics and mathematics in the first place. My interests now are more geared toward theoretical and plasma physics. I am sure any research experience will help me, but I am just extremely nervous because I literally have no idea how I plan to contribute to his research...I am just barely starting calculus this summer and have no formal physics background.

Any advice from anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have another research opportunity in a field you'd rather pursue? If not, I'd take it.

Having not had calculus yet, you will probably be helping the research by doing some data analysis, learning some basic programming, and maybe doing some technical stuff if his work is experimental. My experience doing research when I had very little physics education was that you don't really contribute to the "theory" part of his research. You typically don't advise him on what to do. But you do benefit by learning how to operate in a research environment, get a huge resume booster. At the same time, he benefits because he doesn't need to spend all of his spare time doing data analysis or whatever he'll be having you doing.

Plus, you never know. Maybe you'll find that astronomy is actually quite interesting. You might not learn what you want to study for a future career, but you might learn what you DON'T want to study.

I have no other research opportunities other than a self study with a mathematics professor on whatever he feels like exploring. Basically I am just very nervous. His research is supposed to be photometry of variable starts and binary. I guess we do some stuff called time series CCD. Also apparently he has many of us Community College students go on and publish which to me just sounds so unlikely.

1. What is "Offered research experience in Astro as a CC Student"?

"Offered research experience in Astro as a CC Student" refers to the opportunity for community college students to participate in research projects related to astronomy and astrophysics. This program allows students to gain hands-on experience in the field of astronomy and contribute to current research efforts.

2. Who is eligible for this research experience?

Any community college student with an interest in astronomy and astrophysics is eligible for this research experience. Some programs may have additional requirements, such as a minimum GPA or specific coursework completed, so it is important to check with the specific program for eligibility criteria.

3. How can I apply for this research experience?

The application process for "Offered research experience in Astro as a CC Student" varies depending on the specific program. Some programs may require a formal application, while others may have a more informal process. It is best to research and contact the program directly for information on how to apply.

4. What type of research projects are available?

The research projects available for community college students interested in astronomy and astrophysics vary depending on the program and current research priorities. Some programs may have multiple projects to choose from, while others may have a specific focus. It is best to research and contact the program for more information on the available projects.

5. What are the benefits of participating in this research experience?

Participating in "Offered research experience in Astro as a CC Student" can provide numerous benefits, such as gaining hands-on research experience, developing scientific skills, networking with professionals in the field, and potentially earning academic credit. This experience can also enhance a student's resume and provide valuable experience for future academic and career pursuits.