Official SAT Chemistry Practice Question

In summary: The answer provided to this question is disturbing me:The set of lettered choices below refers to multiple questions. Select the one lettered choice that best fits each statement or answers each question. A choice may be used once, more than once, or not at all in each set.Is weakly acidic(A) 0.1 M H Cl(B) 0.1 M Na Cl(C) 0.1 M H C_2 H_3 O_2(D) 0.1 M C H_3 O H(E) 0.1 M K O Hacetic acid fits the category much better than methanol does
zorro
The answer provided to this question is disturbing me:

The set of lettered choices below refers to multiple questions. Select the one lettered choice that best fits each statement or answers each question. A choice may be used once, more than once, or not at all in each set.

Is weakly acidic

(A) 0.1 M H Cl
(B) 0.1 M Na Cl
(C) 0.1 M H C_2 H_3 O_2
(D) 0.1 M C H_3 O H
(E) 0.1 M K O H

Methanol is a weaker acid than acetic acid. Choice (D) fits in the weakly acidic category. The answer provided is (C).
Who is correct?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Abdul Quadeer said:
Select the one lettered choice that best fits each statement

Acetic acid fits the category much better than methanol does. C is the correct answer. Your thinking would be OK if you were to select all choices that fit the category.

Actually I have studied throught out the year that methanol is a very weak acid, even weaker than water. So that made me select it. I still find it ridiculuous to select acetic acid when methanol is there in the choices.

Abdul Quadeer said:
Actually I have studied throught out the year that methanol is a very weak acid, even weaker than water. So that made me select it. I still find it ridiculuous to select acetic acid when methanol is there in the choices.

You mean acidity is very weak, but is it really a acid? Just like ammonia has higher pH than any weak acid, but you can not say it is an acid.

ZealScience said:
Just like ammonia has higher pH than any weak acid, but you can not say it is an acid.

Care to elaborate? Higher pH of solution means something is basic.

Borek said:
Care to elaborate? Higher pH of solution means something is basic.

I think he was trying to say that just because something has a higher pH than a really weak acid, doesn't make it an acid.

So you couldn't say something pH 8 was a weaker acid than something pH 6.

Well, that's how I read it anyway.

Would I be right in saying 7 is neutral and that is the decider if it's acidic or basic?

JaredJames said:
Would I be right in saying 7 is neutral and that is the decider if it's acidic or basic?
Yeah, pH7 is defined as neutral which is about the pH of distilled water at room temperature IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH

OK, I think I see what confused me in the ZealScience's post.

To clarify/add to what you posted:

pH 7 solution is not necessarily neutral, it depends on the temperature. Solution is neutral if [H+] = [OH-], it happens that at 25 °C that means pH = 7.00, but for temperatures between 0°C and 100°C neutral pH varies from 7.47 to 6.14. See water ion product page.

pH is a property of a solution and is a function of both acid concentration and acid strength, so comparing strength of acids just by comparing solutions pH can be misleading - you have to be sure both solutions have the same acid concentrations. In such a case (and additionally assuming you compare monoprotic acids) solution with lower pH will mean stronger acid, but if solution is neutral substance is not acidic at all, and if pH is above 7, substance is basic, not acidic. I think this is more or less what ZealScience posted?

1. What is the Official SAT Chemistry Practice Question?

The Official SAT Chemistry Practice Question is a standardized test designed to assess a student's understanding of chemistry concepts and skills. It is used by colleges and universities as part of the admission process.

2. How many questions are on the Official SAT Chemistry Practice Question?

There are 85 multiple-choice questions on the Official SAT Chemistry Practice Question, which must be completed in 60 minutes. There is also an optional 20-minute section with 22 additional questions.

3. How is the Official SAT Chemistry Practice Question scored?

The Official SAT Chemistry Practice Question is scored on a scale of 200-800, with 200 being the lowest and 800 being the highest possible score. Each correct answer earns 1 point, while incorrect answers do not deduct points.

4. What topics are covered on the Official SAT Chemistry Practice Question?

The Official SAT Chemistry Practice Question covers a variety of topics including atomic structure, periodic trends, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, gas laws, and solutions. It also tests lab and experimental skills such as data analysis and interpretation.

5. How can I prepare for the Official SAT Chemistry Practice Question?

To prepare for the Official SAT Chemistry Practice Question, it is recommended to review key concepts and formulas, practice with sample questions and tests, and familiarize yourself with the layout and format of the test. Utilizing study materials and seeking additional help from teachers or tutors can also be beneficial.