Offset Limits in RIGOL Oscilloscope

In summary, the conversation is about a problem displaying a slow-changing signal on a RIGOL Oscilloscope. The signal ranges from 5V +-100mV and needs to be displayed at 100mV/DIV. Suggestions are made to use a non-changing reference signal or a low-pass filter. The use of a difference amplifier and Zener diode are also recommended.
Markus Hoeg
Hello,

I have a very specific problem and didn't find any way to solve it.
My signal is very slow changing at 5V +-100mV
When I want to display this signal on my RIGOL Oscilloscope, the problem is, that with AC-mode I don't see those slow changes and in DC-mode the offset range is limited to 2V when displaying <500mV/DIV.
My changes are around 100mV so my display settings need to be 100mv/DIV.
Is there any way to display this kind of signals?

Thanks in advance
Markus

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Markus.

Do you have a non-changing 5V reference signal? If so, use two 'scope probes and do a math subtraction (like A = Ch1-Ch2) to be able to get rid of the offset...

Likes Averagesupernova
No I don't have any reference signal. The signal is created by a photodetector after light passes through a fibre. So the voltage depends on the light passing through the fibre, which is slow-changing.

Then you could make one, with a very-lowpass-filter. Or use a power supply that you set to the average voltage. Are you digitizing the signal and doing any post-processing?

Okay I will give that one a try, Thanks!
Yes I need to send the data via USB to MATLAB afterwards.

You can probably use the power supply of the photodetector as a reference voltage, perhaps through a voltage divider if needed.

The power supply of the photodetector is constant, while the output DC component is changing for every measurement depending on the light through the fiber. That would mean that for every measurement I have to adjust the voltage divider.

Insert a difference amplifier after the photodetector:
03044.png

Connect V2 to the +5V supply and V1 to the photodetector output. The value of R depends on the choice of Op-Amp, but I would recommend something around 0.1 -1MΩ.

Attachments

• 03044.png
    03044.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 382
Thank you for your useful instructions :smile:

How about this? Depending in the DC level from the detector, you may want the Zener to be 3.3V. The 2.2k resistor value is just a starting suggestion, the actual value depends on the maximum available output current of the detector and the leakage current of the Zener.

upload_2018-11-27_18-52-9.png

Cheers,
Tom

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-27_18-52-9.png
    upload_2018-11-27_18-52-9.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 372
Likes Markus Hoeg

1. What is the purpose of offset limits in a RIGOL oscilloscope?

The offset limit feature allows users to specify a maximum voltage offset when using the oscilloscope. This helps prevent damage to the device under test and ensures accurate measurements.

2. How do I set the offset limits on my RIGOL oscilloscope?

To set the offset limits, navigate to the "Utility" menu and select "Offset Limit." From there, you can enter the desired maximum offset value and enable the feature.

3. Can I adjust the offset limits while the oscilloscope is in use?

Yes, you can adjust the offset limits at any time during use. However, keep in mind that changing the offset limits may affect your measurements and could potentially cause damage to the device under test.

4. Are there default offset limits on RIGOL oscilloscopes?

Yes, most RIGOL oscilloscopes have default offset limits set to +/- 1V. However, these limits can be adjusted by the user if needed.

5. How do I know if the offset limits have been exceeded during measurements?

If the offset limits have been exceeded, the oscilloscope will display an error message on the screen. Additionally, the waveform may appear distorted or outside of the screen's viewing area.