On-shell renormalization scheme

In summary, the bare scalar propagator is given by D_F(p)=i/(p^2-m^2-Sigma(p^2)) after considering all 1 particle irreducible diagrams. The residue of the pole is shifted to a new value, which is given by i(1-dSigma/dp^2)^-1|_{p=tilde{p}}. However, in the on-shell renormalization scheme, where Sigma(p^2=m^2)=0 and dSigma/dp^2=0, the residue of the pole is expected to be 1. This leads to different counterterms and raises questions about the validity of defining the propagator without the factor of i in the numerator.
Arcturus7

Homework Statement

Show that, after considering all 1 particle irreducible diagrams, the bare scalar propagator becomes:

$$D_F (p)=\frac{i}{p^2-m^2-\Sigma (p^2)}$$

And that the residue of the pole is shifted to a new value, and beomes:

$$i\bigg(1-\frac{d\Sigma(p^2)}{dp^2}\bigg)^{-1}\bigg|_{p=\tilde{p}}$$

2. The attempt at a solution
Part a is no problem, I simply express the corrections as a geometric series in the standard way and find:

$$D_F(p)=D_0 (p) + D_0 (p) (-i\Sigma(p^2)D_0 (p)\ \dots\ = D_0 (p) \sum_{n=0}^\infty \big(-i\Sigma(p^2)D_0(p)\big)^n$$
$$=\frac{D_0 (p)}{1+i\Sigma(p^2)D_0 (p)}=\frac{i}{p^2-m^2-\Sigma(p^2)}$$

Where I have labelled the bare propagator as D0

Part b is also okay in terms of calculation. I find:

$$\tilde{p}^2=\Sigma(\tilde{p}^2)+m^2$$

As the location of the new pole. If I expand the denominator of the propagator around this new pole I find:

$$p^2-m^2-\Sigma(p^2)\approx 0+\frac{d}{dp^2}\bigg(p^2-m^2-\Sigma(p^2)\bigg)\bigg|_{p^2=\tilde{p}^2}\times (p^2-\tilde{p}^2) + \mathcal{O}\big((p^2-\tilde{p}^2)^2\big)$$
$$\implies D_F(p)\approx i\Bigg((p^2-\tilde{p}^2)\bigg(1-\frac{d\Sigma}{dp^2}\bigg|_{p^2=\tilde{p}^2}\bigg)\Bigg)^{-1}$$

The residue is therefore given by:

$$\mathrm{Res}(D_F(p),\tilde{p})=\lim_{p\rightarrow\tilde{p}}\bigg(D_F(p)\times(p^2-\tilde{p}^2\bigg)=i\bigg(1-\frac{d\Sigma(p^2)}{dp^2}\bigg)^{-1}\bigg|_{p=\tilde{p}}$$

As required.

Now my question is this: I have read that in the on-shell renormalization scheme we require:

$$\Sigma(p^2=m^2)=0,\ \ \ \ \ \ \frac{\partial \Sigma}{\partial p^2}=0$$

In order to ensure that the exact all-order two point function has a residue of 1 at the physical mass of the particle, m. However, quite simply, if I use this condition in my expression for the residue, I find a residue of i and not 1. This seems like a small, almost trivial issue, however it would lead to different counterterms if I were to try and demand that the residue by 1, as I would need to impose

$$\frac{\partial\Sigma}{\partial p^2}=1-i$$.

I can clearly see that if the propagator were defined without the factor of i in the numerator then this problem would disappear, is this "allowed"? Can we be so cavalier with the complex phase factor of the propagator?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess that either you or your textbook mixed up two different very common notations. Some sources define the Green's function you've specified as ##i G## rather than ##G## itself, while some specify the Green's function as you say, but the renormalization condition is that the residue is fixed at ##i##. Finally, some sources like to work with Euclidean theories, which gets rid of the ##i##.

As a rule of thumb, the on-shell scheme simply tells you to keep the pole at the physical mass and to fix the residue at the tree-level value, whatever conventions you're using. There are way too many similar-yet-different conventions for QFT.

1. What is the "On-shell renormalization scheme"?

The On-shell renormalization scheme is a method used in theoretical physics to remove infinities that arise in calculations involving quantum field theories. It involves choosing a specific set of parameters, known as renormalization conditions, to define the theory.

2. How does the On-shell renormalization scheme work?

The On-shell renormalization scheme works by imposing renormalization conditions on the physical observables of a quantum field theory. These conditions are chosen to remove infinities, while still preserving the physical predictions of the theory.

3. What are the advantages of using the On-shell renormalization scheme?

One of the main advantages of the On-shell renormalization scheme is that it allows for a direct connection between the renormalized parameters and physical observables. This makes it easier to compare theoretical predictions with experimental results.

4. Are there any limitations to the On-shell renormalization scheme?

One limitation of the On-shell renormalization scheme is that it can only be applied to theories with a small number of particles. It also does not take into account the effects of higher-order corrections, which can lead to discrepancies between theoretical predictions and experimental results.

5. How is the On-shell renormalization scheme related to other renormalization schemes?

The On-shell renormalization scheme is one of several renormalization schemes used in theoretical physics. It is closely related to the Minimal Subtraction (MS) scheme, which is commonly used in quantum chromodynamics (QCD). The two schemes differ in their choice of renormalization conditions, but both aim to remove infinities and preserve physical predictions.