On the IUPAC nomenclature of ethers and esters

In summary: It is important to follow these rules and conventions in order to accurately name complex organic molecules containing ethers and esters. In summary, when naming complex organic molecules containing multiple ether/ester groups, the alkoxy/alkyl groups should be named in alphabetical order and any aldehyde or carboxylic acid groups should be named using prefix notation. When aldehydes/carboxylic acids are joined by an ester, the group should also be named using prefix notation.
fakecop
Hello,

I was wondering if there is a systematic procedure to follow when naming complex organic molecules containing ethers and esters. By "complex" I mean organic molecules that contain multiple ether/ester groups and possibly within multiple different branches of the molecule.

1.How to determine the alkoxy/alkyl groups when there are multiple ether linkages in the molecule?
E.g. CH2---O---CH2CH3CH2---O---CH3CH2CH2---O---CH2

-Similarly, how to name the alkyl group when there are multiple ester groups in the molecule?
E.g. CH3---COO---CH2CH3CH2---COO---CH3

2.How to name the alkoxy group when it contains an aldehyde or carboxylic acid?
E.g. COOH---CH2---O---CH2---COOH
I'm guessing that I'd have to switch to prefix notation, so the compound above would be called
"2-carboxymethoxyethanoic acid" or "dicarboxymethyl ether"?

If that is the case, how would you name the ether if the carboxyl/oxo group is directly attached to the Oxygen, like this:
COOH --O -- COOH or CHO --O --CHO ?

3. How do you name aldehydes/carboxylic acids joined by an ester?
E.g. CHO---CH2---COO---CH2---COOH
So now do I have to switch to prefix form for both groups? Thus, would this molecule be named
"carboxylmethyl 3-oxopropanoate"?

My textbook and most sources on the internet only covers the simple stuff. Please help me.
(I apologize for the messy diagrams but there is no LaTex symbols for organic chemistry)

Attachments

• Question 1.png
    Question 1.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 532
  • Question 2.png
    Question 2.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 473
  • Question 3.png
    Question 3.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
There are a few general rules and conventions to follow when naming ethers and esters.1. When there are multiple ether/ester groups in a molecule, the alkoxy/alkyl groups attached to the oxygen/carbon atoms should be named in alphabetical order. For example, in the molecule CH2---O---CH2CH3CH2---O---CH3CH2CH2---O---CH2, the alkoxy groups would be named as methoxy, ethoxy and propoxy, respectively. Similarly, in the molecule CH3---COO---CH2CH3CH2---COO---CH3, the alkyl groups would be named as methyl, ethyl and propyl, respectively. 2. When an alkoxy/alkyl group contains an aldehyde or carboxylic acid, it should be named using prefix notation. In the molecule COOH---CH2---O---CH2---COOH, the alkoxy group would be named as carboxymethoxyethanoic acid. In the case of CHO --O --CHO, the alkoxy group would be named as formylmethoxyethanoic acid.3. When aldehydes/carboxylic acids are joined by an ester, the group should be named using prefix notation. In the molecule CHO---CH2---COO---CH2---COOH, the group would be named as carboxylmethyl 3-oxopropanoate.

1. What is the IUPAC nomenclature for ethers and esters?

The IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) nomenclature for ethers and esters follows a systematic naming system based on the parent chain, functional groups, and substituents present in the molecule.

2. How are ethers and esters named according to IUPAC?

Ethers are named by listing the two alkyl or aryl groups bonded to the oxygen atom in alphabetical order, followed by the word "ether." Esters are named by replacing the "e" at the end of the parent carboxylic acid name with "oate" and listing the alkyl or aryl group bonded to the oxygen atom as a prefix.

3. What is the parent chain in ethers and esters according to IUPAC?

The parent chain in ethers and esters is the longest carbon chain that contains the functional group. In ethers, the parent chain is the carbon chain that contains the oxygen atom. In esters, the parent chain is the carbon chain that contains the carbonyl group.

4. How are substituents named in ethers and esters according to IUPAC?

Substituents in ethers and esters are named as prefixes before the parent chain name. The substituents are listed in alphabetical order and their positions are indicated by numbers before the parent chain name.

5. Are there any exceptions to the naming rules for ethers and esters in IUPAC nomenclature?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the naming rules for ethers and esters. For ethers, when there are identical groups bonded to the oxygen atom, the prefix "di-" or "tri-" is used. For esters, if the carbonyl group is bonded to a ring, the suffix "-carboxylic acid" is used instead of "-oate" and the position of the substituent on the ring is indicated by a number.