What could potentially explain the onset of the Pioneer Anomaly?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of solar radiation effects causing the onset of effect, and whether this is consistent with observed residuals. The power of solar radiation is proportional to the inverse square of distance from the Sun, which suggests that the mis-modeled effect may be an under-modeling of solar radiation effects. However, the residuals of Anderson et al. do not differ from the thermal model proposed by Turyshev et al. when correlated to the inverse square of distance. The conversation also mentions the possibility of anisotropic thermal effects and the need for further investigation into the cause of onset.
GravityBound
With regard to solar radiation effects causing the onset of effect, have any here investigated whether this is consistent with the observed residuals? Because the power of solar radiation is proportional to inverse square of distance from the Sun, it seems plausible to me that the mis-modeled effect of which Turyshev,etal speak is an under-modeling of solar radiation effects that fit a function of inverse square of distance from Sun. Even so I find that the residuals of Anderson, etal do not differ from the thermal model of Turyshev,etal by a function well correlated to inverse square of distance. If sufficient mismodeling (prop to 1/AU^2) is employed the fit isn't good but the onset is indicated.

It's not the thermal model I am questioning but the explanation of the cause of onset. That "Figure 2" is suggestive of the possibility that solar radiation effect may be the cause or at least part of the cause of the onset of effect is a reasonable intuition as far as I am concerned. Even so, getting the numbers to work is problematic when mismodeled solar radiation effects are modeled to be proportional to 1/AU^2.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You need to post a link to the paper/other publication, or whatever you are referring to.

rootone said:
You need to post a link to the paper/other publication, or whatever you are referring to.

Sure. I just figured that any who might respond would be familiar with the published research.
The original study (Anderson, etal) from which one may obtain the residuals of Pioneer 11's onset https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0104064v5
The study on anisotropic thermal effects (Turyshev, etal) from which one may obtain the proposed thermal effects. https://arxiv.org/abs/1204.2507v1.

Just to be clear. I am not wanting to expand a discussion of what, if anything, is amiss with the hypothesis here. I am seeking others who may have examined the hypothesis and wish to know if they are fully satisfied with the hypothesis as an "explanation" or "model" of onset.

@GravityBound -- Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Have you done a PF search on this subject yet? There have been several long threads over the years here. You can also find several of them listed in the "Similar Threads" links at the bottom of the page. :smile:

Thanks for the link.
I also heard that the Juno spacecraft was slightly adrift of where it should have been on it's second bypass of Earth.
The only idea that made sense to me is that is that it might have been slowed a bit by passing through a comet trail of gas or such,

berkeman said:
@GravityBound -- Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Have you done a PF search on this subject yet? There have been several long threads over the years here. You can also find several of them listed in the "Similar Threads" links at the bottom of the page. :smile:

Yes, I did. But there is little regarding the onset of effect mentioned in those threads. From my perspective I do think that the thermal model is the primary effect at larger distances from the Sun (ie Pioneer 10 residuals), Pioneer 11 data covers what Pioneer 10 did not and the difference between a thermal model and the observation of Anderson etal are poor fit to any reasonable solar model IMHO. So I think it is reasonable to question whether there are other effects at play. If one reads Turyshev, etal. they, in so many words, say that leading into and closely following the Saturn encounter, the residuals varied through a broad range of magnitudes and so questioned whether there is an "onset". The fluctuation exceeded the thermal effects more than 2 fold. Whatever the case, it is certainly true that these observations (which did not participate in their report) are not consistent with the solar radiation hypothesis of onset observations.

I'll glance back from time to time to see if this thread attracts any comments of interest to me.

Oh ... and thank you for the welcome!

Last edited:

1. What is the Pioneer Anomaly?

The Pioneer Anomaly is a phenomenon observed in the trajectory of the Pioneer 10 and 11 spacecrafts, where they experienced a constant acceleration towards the sun that could not be accounted for by known forces.

2. What caused the Pioneer Anomaly?

The exact cause of the Pioneer Anomaly is still unknown, but it is believed to be a combination of thermal radiation, outgassing, and anisotropic heat emission from the spacecrafts' power sources.

3. How was the Pioneer Anomaly detected?

The Pioneer Anomaly was first detected by tracking the spacecrafts' velocity and distance from Earth using radio signals. Any unexpected changes in these measurements could suggest the presence of an unknown force.

4. How did scientists study the Pioneer Anomaly?

Scientists studied the Pioneer Anomaly by analyzing data from the spacecrafts' trajectories, as well as conducting simulations and experiments to replicate the conditions and forces acting on the spacecrafts in space.

5. Has the Pioneer Anomaly been solved?

While there have been various proposed explanations for the Pioneer Anomaly, none have been definitively proven. However, the anomaly has significantly decreased over time and is no longer detectable, leading some to believe that it may have been caused by an instrumentation or data error.