Online degree for international students with financial aids

In summary, Egyptian students who have successfully completed online courses in math and physics have demonstrated an understanding of the material that is superior to that of most students in their home country. However, due to the lack of opportunities to obtain financial aid for foreign students, online degrees may not be the best option for those students.
SOUKRAT
Hi, everyone I am from Egypt where education is not good at all so, I am using MOOCs a lot
I have just know about online degrees and I want to ask if there are online degree for international students with financial aids
are these really matter and considerable for a scholarship ??
if yes how can I participate ??
if I take one , will be a certificate??
I am thinking of online degree for mathematics
if you have experience or information please guide me just share it here in this thread
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
SOUKRAT said:
Hi, everyone I am from Egypt where education is not good at all so, I am using MOOCs a lot
I have just know about online degrees and I want to ask if there are online degree for international students with financial aids
are these really matter and considerable for a scholarship ??
if yes how can I participate ??
if I take one , will be a certificate??
I am thinking of online degree for mathematics
if you have experience or information please guide me just share it here in this thread
thanks

Online degrees will probably be worse than just studying in your home country. I'd recommend either becoming an international student in another country, or finding a decent university in Egypt.

What're your goals with mathematics?

You've asked a very timely and useful question, but to first order I have to agree with Student100.

This will not always be the case, however. The University of Arizona is leading the way in making many of its majors accessible online (https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-programs) and Oregon State is doing it, though on a smaller scale (http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/undergraduate/). Both are very reputable schools, but neither offers an online degree in math. Even if they did, financial aid would be next to impossible to obtain.

Egypt has produced many a scholar in its day, but I'll have to trust your instincts when it comes to your assessment of the quality of education in your country at the present. Is there an obstacle, besides financial, to going abroad for a degree?

DrSteve said:
You've asked a very timely and useful question, but to first order I have to agree with Student100.

This will not always be the case, however. The University of Arizona is leading the way in making many of its majors accessible online (https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-programs) and Oregon State is doing it, though on a smaller scale (http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/undergraduate/). Both are very reputable schools, but neither offers an online degree in math. Even if they did, financial aid would be next to impossible to obtain.

Egypt has produced many a scholar in its day, but I'll have to trust your instincts when it comes to your assessment of the quality of education in your country at the present. Is there an obstacle, besides financial, to going abroad for a degree?

I am from Algeria, and our situation is very similar to that of Egypt, trust me, when he says the education is bad, it's worse that you can imagine, especially for Math / physics.
Why would it be impossible to get a financial aid? And yes the main problem is financial, although some places like the US require standardized test like SATs and ACTs, and don't accept our baccalaureate and final exam of the year.

MedLam said:
Why would it be impossible to get a financial aid?

Because financial aid is almost always reserved for students from the country and not for foreign students. Some universities see foreign students as cash cows. Now, under special circumstances, foreign students get financial aid, but then we're talking about really brilliant students with amazing records.

MedLam said:
Why would it be impossible to get a financial aid?

What Micromass said. But let's turn it around - why do you feel you are entitled to it?

Vanadium 50 said:
why do you feel you are entitled to it?

Why do I feel entitled to it? Well, first of all, I am a very accomplished student in the Areas of Math / Physics / English, I got very good marks on the final exam in my country ( the only reason they are not excellent is because of: Arabic, Islamic studies, History ). I took online classes about math and physics subjects above high school level, and I can with all confidence say that my understanding in math is better than most students in here ( if not all students ) but there is no way to prove it, and no one seems to care in here ( I self taught myself integral calculus, most of linear Algebra, and I have a lot of understanding of other topics too - mainly pure math and number theory, though not through a formal education - ). People here do not speak English ( self educated ), even the highly educated knows a sentence or two, I am even better than my English teacher ( Although that is not a compliment to how good my English is, but to how bad our education is ) . and I feel entitled to it because I do not have enough money to even pay 5% of what US and UK universities require, let alone affording to live in these countries. I feel entitled to it because I want to study, and if given the chance, studying is all I want to do, because I want to be able to work hard. I feel entitled to it because education in here is bad ( in most of the Middle Eastern / African region ) and I don't think it will get me anywhere. I feel entitled to it because I believe everyone has to at least get a chance to get a good education, to study in a place where not everyone believes in superstition. Because there is no good university in here, and everyone is telling me that I did a great mistake because I chose to study physics and that I should choose medicine because my exam marks can get me into any university in the country and that physics is not going to get me anywhere ( which is true here ) .
I feel entitled to it because I am sure I can be really good if given the chance, I have been reading books about physics and math and watching videos and documentaries about it all my life, and now because it's hard to get out of this place, I am starting to shift into medicine ( a field that never interested me ) because after 10 years when I am alone, I want to be able to afford food, last year a nuclear physics PhD committed suicide because he didn't find a job, that's why I believe I deserve it more that those people who got good marks on their SATs and are now studying in MIT and they don't even deserve it.

MedLam said:
Why do I feel entitled to it? Well, first of all, I am a very accomplished student in the Areas of Math / Physics / English, I got very good marks on the final exam in my country ( the only reason they are not excellent is because of: Arabic, Islamic studies, History ). I took online classes about math and physics subjects above high school level, and I can with all confidence say that my understanding in math is better than most students in here ( if not all students ) but there is no way to prove it, and no one seems to care in here ( I self taught myself integral calculus, most of linear Algebra, and I have a lot of understanding of other topics too - mainly pure math and number theory, though not through a formal education - ). People here do not speak English ( self educated ), even the highly educated knows a sentence or two, I am even better than my English teacher ( Although that is not a compliment to how good my English is, but to how bad our education is ) . and I feel entitled to it because I do not have enough money to even pay 5% of what US and UK universities require, let alone affording to live in these countries. I feel entitled to it because I want to study, and if given the chance, studying is all I want to do, because I want to be able to work hard. I feel entitled to it because education in here is bad ( in most of the Middle Eastern / African region ) and I don't think it will get me anywhere. I feel entitled to it because I believe everyone has to at least get a chance to get a good education, to study in a place where not everyone believes in superstition. Because there is no good university in here, and everyone is telling me that I did a great mistake because I chose to study physics and that I should choose medicine because my exam marks can get me into any university in the country and that physics is not going to get me anywhere ( which is true here ) .
I feel entitled to it because I am sure I can be really good if given the chance, I have been reading books about physics and math and watching videos and documentaries about it all my life, and now because it's hard to get out of this place, I am starting to shift into medicine ( a field that never interested me ) because after 10 years when I am alone, I want to be able to afford food, last year a nuclear physics PhD committed suicide because he didn't find a job, that's why I believe I deserve it more that those people who got good marks on their SATs and are now studying in MIT and they don't even deserve it.

You have listed a lot of reason why you want financial aid. And hey, I think you should get financial aid. I think everybody should get financial aid to study what they want. But I'm not the one who decides this. I don't have the money to afford this either. And so far, you have listed nothing at all that would get you financial aid in a foreign country, sorry.

Likes Student100
Student100 said:
Online degrees will probably be worse than just studying in your home country. I'd recommend either becoming an international student in another country, or finding a decent university in Egypt.

What're your goals with mathematics?

Hi
Yesterday at 8:36 AM#2
Student100 I am a mechanical engineering student in my final year so, I am thinking of online degree because of two reasons , first, it is the only way to study something that I like and having a job (mechanical engineer) and part_time education does not exist in Egypt
second, I really like MOOCs more than campus because MOOCs have advantages that campus does not have
and about your question
I really like Math a lot and I am good about it
I enjoyed studying Math and I want to study Tensors-partial differential equations

You explained why you want to go to some other country. What you haven't done is explained why they should take you - the closest you came is in denigrating their own students. This is unlikely to be a successful strategy.

Anyone who offers you financial aid is not giving that aid to someone else. This is why it's hard to get, particularly for international students. This is the same reason German universities sharply limit the number of international students that they admit: if they take someone from abroad, that's one fewer German student that they can admit, and that student paid for that university with his or her taxes.

You seem to think this is a sure deal. It's not - far from it.

1. Can international students receive financial aid for online degrees?

Yes, many universities and colleges offer financial aid options for international students pursuing online degrees. These may include scholarships, grants, and loans.

2. Are there any specific requirements for international students to receive financial aid for online degrees?

International students may need to meet certain academic and/or financial criteria to be eligible for financial aid. This may include maintaining a certain GPA or demonstrating financial need.

3. How do I apply for financial aid for an online degree as an international student?

The application process for financial aid will vary depending on the university or college. In most cases, international students will need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and any additional forms required by the institution they are attending.

4. Can international students receive the same amount of financial aid as domestic students?

It depends on the university or college's policies and the availability of funds. Some institutions may offer the same amount of aid to both international and domestic students, while others may have separate funding options for international students.

5. Are there any other options for international students to fund their online degree besides financial aid?

Yes, international students can also explore other funding options such as scholarships, grants, and student loans from private organizations or their home country's government. They can also consider working part-time while studying to help cover the costs of their education.